2000 Honda CR-V starter

In replaced my starter in February 2020 (265,490 miles) on my 2000 Honda
CR-V
I now have 283,674 miles in October 2023.
Just twice over the last 3 months I turn the key and get nothing, no sounds at all. But when I turn the key again (without physically touching or banging the starter) it starts right up.
I’m aware it could be another intermitten issue (I checked battery cables and connections on the starter).
My question is after only approximately 18,000 miles should I be thinking about a pre-emptive R&R on the starter?
Thanks guys/.

Whether you should be concerned about the started depends on where you bought it and what you paid. An AutoZone Duralast rebuilt starter… it could need replacement because they are crap. If it came from Honda, then no.

I think there is a starter relay in the engine fuse box on this car. Look for it. Replace it. They are cheap. Might fix your problem. If it doesn’t, I’d pull the starter and have it tested but I’d suspect the ignition switch could be worn out.

Thanks Mustangman.
I’ll swap out the relay for starters (no pun intended). The starter is a crapo $88 PREMIER GEAR PG-17703 Professional Grade Starter Amazon.
So R&R at 18,000 miles seem reasonable on these cheapo starters?

The next time it doesn’t start, with the ignition switch on, step on the brake pedal and shift the transmission into neutral and then try starting the engine,

If the engine starts, there’s a problem with the park/neutral safety switch.

Tester

1 Like

Thanks Tester, wrote it down, will keep it in the car

My guess, replacement starter is bad. If I had this symptom and Tester’s idea above didn’t pan out, my first test would be to measure the voltages at the two starter terminals when key is in “start”. Presuming automatic trans.

Just to eliminate the easy stuff, check that your battery cables are tightly attached to battery, that the connection is clean, and that the battery is fully charged.

Thanks all.