2000 Honda CR-V - Needs an evaluation

Yes, that is true. Thank you Lion9car

Enterprise in my fair city.

Thank you Barkydog and others. he consensus is: Rent a car or take a chance on the 2000 CRV with only 100,000 miles on it.
Well give it a bit more thought and decide. Thanks everyone

If you are going to rent a car, read up on “Hidden Fees,” extra charges that are added on that were not quoted in the “low-ball” estimate you might get on the phone or from a web site.

And a final suggestion, when you pick up the car. Pull out your smart phone and video a walk around of the vehicle and the associate
 Also, when you return the vehicle, make another walk around video.

And do not return the car after hours with a key drop off box. Return it to an actual person who accepts the vehicle.

1 Like

Yes, thank you LoudThunder. I got burned once before. I returned from a vacation in St. Croix and looked at my Visa statement. The rental agency had charged me $150 for a new wheel, claiming I’d damaged their rental car—which in fact I had not. Oh well live and learn.

+1 to Loud Thunder’s comments.
Additionally, be sure to save all of the preliminary paperwork in case of a pricing discrepancy.

I reserved my rental car through Costco Travel, which was supposed to give me a discount. When I dropped the car off, the discount had suddenly disappeared. The local franchise owner played dumb, but when I pulled out the original paperwork, he sheepishly conceded his “mistake”. I believe that it wasn’t actually a mistake, and that he thought I wouldn’t notice the discrepancy. As I told him, “I was born in the morning, but it wasn’t THIS morning”.
:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Good advice. Thanks

Heh, I reserved a rental when making airline reservations. Went one step up from the smallest car, when I got to the agency all they had was a Mustang Coupe, poor, poor, pitiful me, a Mustang for the fee of an econobox.

1 Like

I want the Maserati.

1 Like

The avoidable fee I tend to get socked with when renting a car is the gasoline refill fee. Much less expensive to refill the tank yourself at a gas station on your drive to the return place.

2 Likes

I fill up as close as I can before returning the car. They usually want you to record where the gas needle is. Last time they wanted a receipt also at least in the instructions. In the end the check in guy never asked for anything. Maybe they check afterwards and add it to the charge since they already have reserved an extra $300 or so on the charge card. Never had a problem that I know of. I’m still waiting for a billing for tollway fees. It’s been a couple years though and don’t even remember where I was.

1 Like

My company would not pay for refills, I always had to do it myself. It’s a flat fee and often I didn’t even use a quarter tank. Driving from northern Santa Barbara County to LA the day of my return flight was painful until I orchestrated my flight and drive times properly. I tried getting an 11am flight from LAX to BWI, but I had to leave Lompoc at 5:30am to catch the plane. I hit LA at the height of rush hour, about an hour after finishing my morning coffee. I always made to the gas station in time for a bathroom break, but just barely. It worked out better to get a 1pm flight to Dulles ad take a much longer drive home. I hit LA after the morning rush and returned that rental coffee before leaving the hotel. I arrived at Dulles just after the afternoon rush and it was a much more enjoyable experience. I also got my choice of rental cars in LA but had to accept whatever they gave me in SB. One time I got a Mini convertible in LA and that was a fun experience.

I always did too, within reason.

Yup!
When I rented a car a few months ago, I gassed it up at the nearest station to the rental agency, even though that station was a bit more expensive than some others located a few miles away.