2000 Dodge Dakota Relay -

Hello Guys. Thanks for all the help the past few months to start off.

I have a new problem. In my 2000 Dodge Dakota the electric cooling fan will run after the engine is shut off. It’s only happened twice the past few months driving it every day.

I unplugged the relay to shut it off the last time and when it just happened again and did the same thing and it solved the problem. Then I just plugged it back in and it didn’t happen for awhile. However last time I noticed the relay was really hot.

Now I have a check engine light code PO1491 related to the electric cooling fan.

I replaced the relay thinking that must be bad.

I got a new relay but the check engine light won’t go off. I read it could be the terminals in the socket that are bad. Do you think this could be the case? If so any videos on how to replace them?

Any other ideas?

Read through the diagnostic procedure here (BTW, this isn’t a PO1491 code, it is a P1491 code)

Apparently not a stuck old relay but a short to ground that pulls the relay in and runs the fan.

Hi,

I noticed where the relay goes into the socket was melted. Should I replace the part down inside where the relay snaps in?

How would I replace these? I think this might be the problem.

the fan is running fine.

No experience with your vehicle, but I had a problem like that on my old VW Rabbit, fuel pump relay. That eventually required replacing the entire relay plate, the part the relays plug into. It might be possible to re-wire around the broken section of the relay plate but you’d need some help from someone w/ auto-electric expertise.

Note that on some vehicles it is normal for the engine fan to continue to run after the engine is turned off.

Yes, it is perfectly normal for the fan to run after the engine is shut off.

How long did the fan run after turning the engine off?

It’s a normal behavior for some vehicles to help cool the engine during the “hot soak” period. Did you ever observe the fan to see if it would turn off on its own?

I have a friend with a BMW that will slightly open its hood and turn on the cooling fan after being parked after a hard run.