2000 daewoo leganza

I had submitted this question before, but didn’t get any responses, so here I am again.

I was hoping someone would be able to explain how to adjust the emergency brake cable on a 2000 daewoo leganza.

When I have the brake fully engaged and am parked on a hill, I can feel the car move until the transmissioin catches it. I know that this in not good for the transmission and want to correct the problem quickly.

Also, on a side note, as I have just recently purchased this vehicle, I was wondering if anyone knew or had a history with this vehicles sound system, it seems that when I am listening to the radio, the station will come and go. It is not the signal strenght or where the dial is located. I have never had this issue with regards to any other vehicle when driving in my city.

thanks

It might be that daewoos are not all that common & no one has ever adjusted the brake on one.

Is it foot controlled or hand controlled? If controlled by a hand lever this is often a very simple thing - there is probably an adjustment nut located inside of the console next to the brake lever. It is often designed to be accessible without removing the console - just need a deep socket and an extension. If it is foot controlled that is often more complicated as it involves adjustments made underneath of the vehicle (raising and supporting included).

A service manual, such as Haynes, would answer your parking brake question, as well as just about any other mechanical question you might have. These books don’t cost much and they are very helpful for a do-it-yourselfer.

You might want to check with a Suzuki dealer. Both GM and Suzuki (an “ally” of GM) picked over the bones of the defunct Daewoo automotive operation and both extracted a vehicle to work over slightly for re-badging.

GM took the little Lanos, and “created” the abysmal Chevy Aveo–if I recall correctly. If my memory serves me correctly, the larger Leganza was reborn as a Suzuki sedan (the name escapes me, and this particular Suzuki model is no longer sold), but it is very possible that a Suzuki dealer would be able to help you out with things like the e-brake and the radio.

Normally, I would suggest that you contact a Daewoo dealer, but there haven’t been any of those for quite a few years. As you are beginning to find out, buying an “orphaned” car that never sold well in the first place presents many challenges to the hapless second or third owner.

Both GM and Suzuki dealers will refuse to do any warranty work on Daewoos, but a Suzuki dealer’s shop will have some knowledge on how to fix your brake, without guaranteeing the work, of course.

We constantly warn readers about the problems of buying an orphan car. Anyone, for instance who now buys a Saturn Astra, a reasonably good car built by GM’s German Opel division, will have an orphan on his hands, since GM will likely sell the Opel division to Fiat or some other entity, and the Saturn dealerships will be spun off to a separate business which will import Chinese and Indian cars, and not be too interested in servicing a German import.

No matter what Obama says, getting a front bumper for an Astra 5 years from now will be very difficult.

Doc–Considering that Daewoo ceased operations as an independent entity about 8 years ago, I seriously doubt that any of their cars still running would have any warranty coverage!

I suggested a Suzuki dealer for possible expertise, but I did not suggest that there was any warranty coverage on any of those orphaned Daewoos!

I was not implying that there would be any warranty coverage at this age; the owners of Daewoos in the past tried to get service from GM and were sent home. Agree that Suzuki shops would most likely have the knowhow.