2000 Chevrolet S-10 oil pan gasket leak

Oil pan gasket bad,bad leak,need fixed anyway possible that will slow leak down to bout nil for at least a yeart

You can go to a parts store and choose something that might slow it down but don’t expect it to stop the leak . Why not call a local independent shop and ask what a new gasket might cost , but also expect to pay a diagnostic fee so they will know if that really is the problem.

If it’s the pan gasket it might be a DIY job. I’ve replaced a transmission pan gasket and while it wasn’t fun it wasn’t difficult either. First, though, make sure it’s the gasket that’s leaking.

1 Like

IMHO, anything that would slow it down would likely gum up the engine. How many miles per quart is it leaking?

4 Likes

There’s products for stopping seal leaks.

But nothing for stopping gaskets leaks.

The gasket has to be replaced.

Tester

3 Likes

I wouldn’t try the stop leak stuff. Like mentioned, make sure it’s the oil pan. Use brake cleaner or something to clean all the oil off real good and pinpoint the leak. Oil pan gaskets can and do leak, but everything else on the engine that could leak oil is above the oil pan. If it’s leaking as bad as you say, should be pretty easy to tell where it’s coming from once old oil is cleaned off.

3 Likes

Replacing an oil pan gasket can be relatively easy or hard depending on what is in the way, either to access all of the bolts or to pull it down. Sometimes a frame member or exhaust in the way.

2 Likes

+1
That can easily turn a relatively-easy job into a real pain in the butt.

4 Likes

And I hope it’s a 2wd S10. Otherwise, definitely going to be a pain.

1 Like

Suggest to avoid the quick-fix method for this one. Gunk that might slow an oil-pan leak could also clog up small oil passages in the engine. Not a problem you want to have.

1 Like

Before wading into a pan gasket replacement my suggestion would be to clean it off underneath and allow it to run for a bit while watching for an oil leak.

I think I would be more inclined to suspect a crank seal, oil pressure sending unit, or even the engine oil cooler lines (if so equipped) which have been known to be a problem at times.

1 Like

See if the oil pan bolts are really loose.

2 Likes

After 21 years. this is a distinct possibility. Snugging them up costs nothing but a little time, and might slow down the leak.