2000 bmw 328ci pcv?

Hi there,

when I start driving from a complete stop a hear a slight whistle and hinking noise from the engine. Is this due to a faulty PCV valve? Do I have to get this fixed right away? The check engine light is not on.

Many thanks!!!

Anyone with experience on PCV valves around? This is a pretty major repair on a BMW (delaership cost of $450) and I rather not do this unless I have too…

Thanks!

Did someone actually check the PCV valve or are you just speculating? I wouldn’t automatically assume the PCV valve. It sounds like it could be a vacuum leak but from any number of places. The trick would be to track it down.

BTW, what is a hinking noise?

Has someone gotten PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve confused with the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve? If you hear a clicking noise from the engine compartment, it could be relays clicking. In which case, there is an ELECTRICAL (or, electronic) problem. You need a mechanic who knows automotive electrics. IF there is a problem with the EGR SYSTEM, that could cause erratic engine operation. The name of the game is TROUBLESHOOTING.