20 year old male looking to buy first car, parents willing to help with cost, limit around $15,000

I usually sleep INSIDE a warm house. And if we loose power then my backup generator kicks in.

I wouldn’t even want to do that year round in MS. Would save on fuel though, I suppose. If you survived traffic and the winter.

I was thinking about falling asleep in a car in a snow storm, not at home.

+1
Riding a motorcycle in sub-freezing weather–on roads that could have patches of ice–should be one of the definitions of “insanity” in Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary.

4 Likes

As others have told you your preferences aren’t ideal for your budget and position in life, but if you still insist you can get a car that takes all your money and maybe learn from the experience… I vote for a compact to mid-size Toyota or Honda sedan, maybe a Prius - something reliable, easy on gas, and that you can carry a few friends in. You might even consider a minivan for the friends and gear hauling options. If you’re inclined to adventure, Forest Service roads, etc., consider a Subaru for ground clearance and AWD, though have them checked out for the specific problems that brand sometimes has. Any car should be checked by a mechanic before purchase.

1 Like

I rode motorcycles consistently from age 9 (dirt bikes) to age 25. They’re fun to cruise around on back roads, scenic highways, off-road with dirt bikes, etc. But for basic transportation on interstate highways…I just couldn’t make myself enjoy that. I love motorcycles. Traffic, not so much. And bikes aren’t that enjoyable (to me) just riding down a straight 4 lane highway at 70-80 mph. Lots of buzzing and wind and boredom. Forget about anything below 40 degrees! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

During bad snow storms you stay at home. That’s the point of my original statement. You never know where you’re going to be when an earthquake strikes. I’m informed DAYS in advance of snow. Lake effect snow in upstate NY is a little different.

“If he lives through the first year…”

Until you hit what looks like dirt and is actually mud, I bounced pretty good in those days no harm!

Hi Suburbancityboy:

It’s very easy to get consumed with that lifestyle and to seek to be a part of it.

The more you can keep from getting caught up in it, the happier you’ll be.

1 Like

Use folks Volvo. They plan to get rid of it.

I’m late to the party and can’t believe anyone will read all these. When I was in this situation I had a ten year old VW for $500 and a ten year old Pontiac for $175. I might suggest lowering expectations to the point where the folks don’t need to pay anything. Kinda reminds me of that insurance commercial. My son either took one of my cars or paid for his own. I did cover gas, maintenance and insurance though in the macaroni years, but he always bought his own cars. FWIW as they say.