2 valve stems?

So I got my new rims today. Different from the ones I showed in my previous thread since those were on back order and MIGHT have been produced in about 6~8 weeks.

Is there some benefit or advantage to having 2 valve stems? or is it something that’ll be a pain later on in the life of the rims/tires?

Here’s a picture of the rim.
The only bad part is that the extra rim doesn’t fit into the space in my trunk that my donut occupied(and the fact the tires are directional). I think they’re slightly lighter than my steel rims too.

Just when you think you’ve seen it all!

I’m sorry, but, for the life of me, I can’t imagine why there would be TWO valve stems on one wheel. It’s just one more place for a potential leak. If there is some advantage, please tell me what it is, or what it’s supposed to be.

Just out of curiosity, how much per wheel? Ballpark is good enough.

Rims were $149 each($20 more than the ones I had selected before) and the tires were $122 each. 5 rims/tires total, with shipping the total was just over $1500, the most I’ve ever spent on the car.
On a side note, the wheels do fill out the fenders nicely. I might call tirerack tomorrow and ask about it, one guy I asked said it might be for nitrogen, but that doesn’t sound right. Rims weigh in at 12.6 lbs according to TR’s site. They look better than I thought they would.

There are all kinds of benefits to having two valve stems on a wheel. One: It gives a balanced, symmetrical, look to the wheel. Two: It’s a great ice-breaker …"Hey, you wanna see my two valve stems!!! Three: Coolness factor. Priceless. Four: Dynamic, and static, balance will be more easily obtained. Five: When you need to put air into the tire, the tire valve, almost, always, seems like it’s right on the ground, you won’t have THAT problem, again. Six: Uh. Did I mention the coolness factor?

Hey, what a great idea!!

One valve for nitrogen, one for air!
Someone’s gonna get rich!

Now you have to paint the rusty spots on the drums or rotors. The valve stems are dependable parts and don’t cost much.

To me…it just adds another potential place that air can leak from…

Some off road tires/wheels have 2 stems. Maybe they retrofit the system for street tires. In the off road version, there is a second inflatable space, I think it’s a inner tube with a kevlar jacket covering it so it’s only half the height of the tire. You can inflate the inner bladder to something close to normal pressure. Then the actual tire can be deflated for rock crawling and driving through sand. Keeps the bead from coming off with low tire pressure and protects the rim at the same time. Other than balance, I don’t see the point in a street tire/wheel.

The two valve stems allow air to be released from one stem while nitrogen is introduced into the tire from the other stem.

Tester

Well, what do you know, a legitimate reason! You learn something new every day.

I wonder if there is another reason for these two stems. Are there any tires being made that have an inflateable ‘run flat’ insert in them that would require a different and separate pressure than the actual tread tire. Also could some low profile tires have a bladder to help keep the beads on the rim and allow a lower tire pressure for the tread. I could invision this for off road tires that may hit rocks that could force the bead off the rim. If anyone has any ideas I would like to hear them.

Yeah, but the larger question is; has anyone ever tested the “air” from the tire after this operation? What do you suppose the chances of it being pure N2 are after a short period of purging? The turbulence and limited flow offered by the stems means that air is constantly mixing rather than being forced out. You’d have to flush many times the tire volume in order to get all the oxygen out. The charade continues…

Thats what the guy from tire rack told me. said the rims are actual racing rims, and the one stem is used to release ir while nitrogen is being pumped into the other one. Most rims have them side by side, he told me.

A couple years ago, a friend of mine did a simulation using CFD and concluded “Pope only knows”. A vaccum pump might help you suck the air out of it.

The objective is to stabilize the air pressure as the tire warms up, not filling the tire with 100% nitrogen. We(test team) have had sampled both 95% and 100%(assumed) with racing tires and the 5% increment was inconsequetial as far as an attemp to attain a benefit was concerned. Needless to say, I couldn’t even notice the difference between the 95% and the 100% with 245/40-18 tires, might have been easier if it were 205/60-15.

That has to be one of the dumbest ideas I have ever seen or heard.

Valve stems are dependable?! I had a flat not too long ago, an’ thought it was a foreign object in my tread. WRONG! Along about the time I got my tire half-inflated with fix-a-flat, white goo started coming out around the valve stem. In a raw panic I tried to unscrew the sealant can from the stem. Next thing you know, the brass tube from inside the stem has come out & I’m holding this spewing can of fix-a-flat, which is spraying all over the left side of the car!

I agree. Why not fill the tires with helium instead? :stuck_out_tongue:

edit: Either the tires are rubbing the fender well, or I’m going bonkers, or both, I’m not sure. I can hear a light humming noise when I turn my wheels like I’m making a sharp left or right turn. This seems more prevalent when I’m making a right turn, but also does it going left. When I’m making those kids of turns, I’m usually in a parking lot/driveway, so it’s low speeds. Is there any harm being done by this,?or am I just being paranoid

Sorry for your misfortune, but many of us have seen no failures at all and some failures are due to neglect or damage. Anything can fail. Some of us don’t have any fix-a-flat experience either.

I have SOLVED this problem!!! This rim was manufactured on a MONDAY!!! This was scientifically confirmed!! This is a result of a medical condition called “toomuchadrinkin”. This is usually contracted on Friday and Saturday nights and is is diagnosed by major f#$% ups like ADDING 2 VALVE STEMS IN ONE RIM!!!(I suspect the name of the individual was MOE. Short for Moe Ron) Chevy and Ford both lost millions due to this disease.