1st oil change: 2018 Toyota Camry

We charge $80 for regular motor oil and $100 for synthetic oil change, that includes a car wash, coffee and snacks.

On occasion a customer will bring their own oil, perhaps once a month, if this happened on a regular basis it wouldn’t be allowed, it takes half of the profit out of the service.

Very few people change their own oil, cut their own hair or perform their own dental work.

Think of it as mental exercise; prolongs brain fitness.

Expensive, ar least for in the Baltimore/DC area. I pay $63 for full synthetic and a filter at an expensive shop around me.

We’ve corrected that problem by charging the same price for the oil change service whether we use our oil and filter or theirs. Some people still bring their own.

I gave up cutting my own hair 50 years ago but prefer to spend 30 minutes in my own garage changing oil with my own coffee and snacks.

In the dark ages before personal computers, spread sheets, and automated reminders I worked at a semiconductor manufacturing company where the maintenance techs serviced our equipment (vacuum pumps and the like) on a time basis using a file card system. Each piece of gear had a card with its name, interval, and associated maintenance details on it and after a piece of gear was serviced the date was recorded on its card and the card replaced behind a divider labeled with the month of the next service - worked great, and unaffected by power failures.

I used to use a slide rule that was unaffected by power failures

I keep a cheap celluloid 5in. slide rule to calculate gas mileage - faster than a calculator.

The dealership that I go to charges me ~$55 for a “regular” oil change, inspection, car wash, coffee, and snacks. And, they have a “pay for 3 and the 4th one is free” policy, so it actually works-out to ~$41 per oil change. My car takes 7 qts, so if I had an engine with a smaller oil capacity, they would charge a few bucks less.

But there are easily 5 times as many people who change their own oil then cut their own hair…and easily 10,000,000 people who change their own oil that do their own dental work. Just one Wall-Mart sells tens of thousands of cans of oil and oil filters a year.

When you go there, you can see all three!

Sorry, couldn’t resist…

2 Likes