1999 Subaru Impreza - Tow damage?

I recently had a flat, got towed, had 4 new tires installed on my 1999 Subaru Impreza L hatchback (2.2L), and had a front-wheel alignment done. A couple days later, my check engine light came on - codes P0440 and P0325. Town Fair Tire says it’s nothing to do with them. I don’t know the EVAP system layout, but I’m wondering if they could have damaged a part.

Very doubtful . You have a vehicle that has a lot of years on so things will fail.

The P0440 is a evaporative emissions error code often caused by a loose gas cap. Not tow related.

The P0325 is a knock sensor error (used to adjust the ignition timing for good fuel economy) and that’s not tow-related either.

@VOLVO_V70 's right, old car, stuff breaks.

1 Like

I agree that those diagnostic codes could not be connected to damage from towing, but that leads to the inevitable question:
Was the OP’s car actually “towed”, with two wheels on the ground?
If so, then there will be damage to the car’s center viscous coupler, and possibly other AWD parts.

Cars with permanent AWD–like the OP’s car–must be transported on a flatbed trailer, or must have a dolly placed under the two wheels that would have been in contact with the road.