1999 Jeep Wrangler Fuel Gauge

I have an intermittent problem with my fuel gauge. With a full tank, the gauge will start at full then show half tank, empty or anywhere in between. The fuel dummy light will come on. It will go back to full tank after cycling the ignition switch. It is a random problem with the gauge working most of the time. Im thinking a bad ground for the gauge.

My girlfriends parents have 1999 wrangler as well with the oil pressure gauge doing the same dance as mine.

Any help?

thanks

Next time it happens, check the voltage on the wire coming from the fuel tank. What does it say? Is it consistent?

Does the problem only show up with a full tank? In that case, it might be a faulty sender.

this problem happens with any amount of fuel in the tank. The majority of the time, the fuel gauge works like normal. Other times I will be driving, fuel gauge working like normal, with plenty of gas in tank, and the needle will drop to empty.

I had a 1998 Jeep Cherokee with a fuel gauge problem. It was a little different in that the gauge would stop at half tank and never go below, unless I turned off the vehicle and then turned it back on. Then it would should the correct fuel quantity. There was a recall for that particular Cherokee for the fuel gauge and I had the problem fixed at a dealership for free. Check to see if there are any recalls for the Wrangler for this issue.

I have a 98 and have this EXACT same problem!! Any ideas?