1999 Hyundai Elantra Wagon Funny Cruise

I have a 99 Hyundai Elantra Wagon and it has about 205,000 miles on it. It has been a wonderful vehicle, but I have a couple of problems with it. One, the cruise control is a little funny. Between about 42 mph and maybe 55 mph, the engine will rev up and down and sometimes will shut off the cruise control altogether. Also, I think it has a transmission problem- when I slow down to come to a stop or slow down enough for a turn, it sort of hesitates going forward. Not the engine, but just going where I want it to go and when. It almost feels like the brakes are on when I’m trying to accelerate, but those have been checked. Automatic transmission. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like your engine is either very tired… (very possible) and that is making your transmission “hunt” and the cruise control doesn’t like it… A tired engine will make the trans hunt for the right gear a lot…a dragging caliper will simulate a tired engine also…WHAT are you doing with the cruise on at 45mph anywho?

You REALLY need to look into your brakes again… A very Lo-tech way to do this is to drive for about an hour or so…get out and feel your rims…the front ones especially…Is one Warmer or HOTTER than the other? Methinks you may have a failing brake caliper…this would also make your trans Hunt for sure…as it would act like a tired engine. Engines with that many miles don’t like to drive around with a hanging brake caliper. No car does. ALSO…calipers with that many stoppies on them…DO WEAR OUT… Check your brakes again using my method… You can also buy an infra red thermometer for round 20 bucks and “shoot” each wheel with it…whats the rotor temp on the front wheels…big difference between the two? ALL great questions.

Blackbird