1999 Honda Accord loose wheel bearing

I just took my car in to have my tires balanced and rotated, and the tire place said my front left wheel bearing is coming loose. The guy said it isn’t dangerous, and that I’ll eventually hear a rumbling sound. The repair estimate is $330. I’m wondering if this is a fair price for the repair, and how soon I need to take care of this. Also, at some point I’m going to need to have my front rotors turned/replaced, but my brother said I don’t need brake pads yet. Since I’m fairly clueless about this stuff, I’m wondering if I should deal with the rotors at the same time as the wheel bearing, or wait until the brake pads need to be replaced.

I would suggest that you have the wheel bearing done soon. If the tech at the alignment place said that it wasn’t a danger, I’m sure you can go a few weeks, but too long a wait and you could do major damage. If it gets much louder, make the appointment.
I think it’s a fair price.

Who said that the rotors were bad???

If it was the tech, I’d take his opinion seriously because of his experience.
If it was your brother, I’d get a second opinion.
When you’re ready to make the appointment for the wheel bearing they can easily take a look and advise you weather the rotor and brakes need replacing too.

I don’t mean your brother is dumb, but many times people who have no clue…just have to get their 2 cents in to give the impression that they know something.

Yosemite

Thanks, Yosemite. I actually don’t hear anything, which makes me question whether I really need the repair. Being a woman who doesn’t know much about cars, it sometimes makes me wonder if a boat payment is coming due. Know what I mean?

As for the rotors, I’ve been having some pulsing/shaking whenever I brake, and the harder I brake the worse it gets. As for my brother, he certainly isn’t a mechanic, but he has taught himself a thing or two to avoid being taken advantage of again. He’s replaced my rear rotors, brake pads, and a stuck caliper.

No, I would suggest that you get a second opinion. There is no way to detect a loose bearing if it isn’t making a lot of noise right now. They make a lot of noise before any looseness can be detected.

I believe this generation Accord still used the captive rotors. When you have the rotors replaced, that is the time to replace the wheel bearings because everything will be apart already. The rotors should be replace on every second pad change.

The pulsing may be due to a residue build up from the pads on the rotors. This usually happens to people who are easy on the brakes, they don’t get them hot enough to burn off the residues. A couple of good hard stops from 60 to almost zero, not skidding but hard braking, will usually heat up the rotors and burn off the residues. Two of these should be enough. If that doesn’t work, then the rotors may be warped and should be replaced, but I’d get new pads at the same time even if there is life left in the old ones.

“No, I would suggest that you get a second opinion.”

@keith has said exactly what I would say in the exact same words.

Thanks, keith and missileman. So, if the second opinion does end up finding that I need a new wheel bearing and new rotors, I’ll get new pads too. Just to be clear, you’re saying I should have the other front wheel bearing done at that same time, right?

I actually don’t hear anything, which makes me question whether I really need the repair.

Normally noise is the first sign of a bad bearing,

To reassure yourself, jack that wheel off the ground. Than grasp it with both hands…one at the 12 o’clock position, and one at the 6 o’clock position, and try wiggling the wheel.
With a good bearing you will not feels any give, and a bad bearing will be able to wiggle.
Then spin the wheel by hand and listen for a grinding noise.
Then lower the jack and do the same with the other side and compare.

Have the car on level ground and in neutral, with the parking brake on when you do this test.

Yosemite

Thanks, Yosemite. I’ll do that and see what I find out.