1999 GMC Jimmy- broken gas gauge

Help! I am the not so proud owner of a 1999 GMC Jimmy that has a crazy gas gauge. The gas gauge is reliable while the gas tank is at least 1/4 of the way full, but when the tank gets below that it’s hard to tell exactly how much gas the car actually has in it. The needle of the gas gauge will float from E to F like a pendulum both while I am driving and while at rest, whether it is in park or drive. Any suggestions?

The sensor is likely worn and needs replacement. It may be part of the fuel pump. But hay, it is a 99 Jimmy, just keep it at least half full.

I had a 98 Blazer; essentially the same vehicle. The sensor in that is part of the fuel pump, which is an expensive replacement. I’d go with Mr. Meehan’s advice and just keep running it. Fill up about every 250 miles and you should be good.

yeah, you will have to replace the entire sending unit in the tank. I would wait untile the fuel pump starts to go, or goes.

I’ve had several fail on me. All I do is reset the trip every time I fill up and make sure I fill the the tank every 300 miles, or whatever is about 3/4 of a tank.

The gas gauge on my 2000 Blazer started acting up last spring. I just fill up the tank every 250 miles (~260-270 in the summer). The truck takes 14 to 15 gallons to fill up, leaving a sufficient reserve in the tank. I ran a couple of bottles of Chevron Techron through the tank, it’s supposed to help clean sulfur deposits off the sending unit. It didn’t fix the guage, but the truck is running a little smoother. It might be worth a try.

Ed B.

Check with the dealer, some GM models the sender can be replaced. One I know for sure, the Cavalier.