CarTalk.com Best of Deals Car Reviews Repair Shops Cars A-Z Radio Show

1999 gmc jimmy 4x4

having trouble with the front axle disengaging also have trouble lite that says service 4wd i’ve changed fluids in the axle and transfer case.looking at a chiltons book i see this thermal actuator could that be gummed up,wore out or being that its push button control electrical? Or is there a part that normally goes bad

The transfer case on my 2000 Blazer has trouble engaging 4wd, unless I use it once a week or so. A GM tech told me that the control module (in the right kick panel) tends to freeze/lock up if not used on a regular basis. I always thought the problem was with the actuator motor on the transfer case. He recommended unplugging it to reset the module. I don’t feel like removing the panel so I just disconnect the battery to reset it. This also takes care of the 4wd Service light.

I have found it helps to be moving slowing when I switch to 4wd Hi. If all else fails I disconnect the battery. Since I’ve been making a point to switch to 4wd once a week, the truck has been behaving.

Good luck,

Ed B.

hey there i went around to a couple of shops and the gm parts man said if it was the unit on the transfer it would cost 573.00 if it was the axle servo 132.00 So i stopped at a service garage and he said ,oh yeah generally it is a electrical vaccumn unit ( i have’nt looked for it yet )but i thought he said on top of the transfer case that has a check ball in it that jams and it runs about 90.00 i’m going to look into it tomorrow,but right now the wife is going to try it since i disconnected the batt. i’ll let ya know