1999 engine making a clanging sound

My car has 400,000 miles and is beginning to make a clanging sound. Please help

Please tell us more. Has the car been maintained well?

Describe the “clanging”. Is it coming from the engine? Does it increase/decrease with engine RPMs?

Anything else unusual happen lately with the car?

Send us a picture of your odometer.

Why…

1 Like

I see a lot of them in the junkyard not reaching the 250k miles

Which would imply that OP has been taking good care of his Camry

About the closest thing to “clanging” I’ve heard in any of my cars is when an accessory belt starts to fray a little. Or one time a pebble got in the hubcap sort of a clanging sound resulted. Beyond that, OP should post back w/more info. Model year, were it sounds like it is coming from and under what conditions? Idling or driving at 60 mph, etc. Good for you for keeping your Camry on the road for 400K btw :slight_smile:

An audio clip would be helpful

Loose torque converter bolts can make a clanging noise. Have either the engine or transmission been out of the car.

No sir. It has just 400,000 hard miles……It sounds like the engine is losing compression.

Roderick A. Senior

I will get that clip to you today.

Roderick A. Senior

This is a 1999 Toyota Camry. 4 cylinder. I started out as a ticking sound. Now the sound is more pronounced. When I step on the accelerator the ticking becomes faster. I try not to push it past 50 mph. It definitely feels like the engine is struggling.
I am guessing that there is a loose piston or something of that nature.
Roderick A. Senior

I will get the clip out this morning.

Roderick A. Senior

This is a 1999 Toyota Camry. 4 cylinder. I started out as a ticking sound. Now the sound is more pronounced. When I step on the accelerator the ticking becomes faster. I try not to push it past 50 mph. It definitely feels like the engine is struggling.
I am guessing that there is a loose piston or something of that nature.
Roderick A. Senior

Roderick A. Senior

If is anything INside the engine, as you suspect, this engine is ready for the scrap pile. If it is inside the engine, large noises usually mean something is ready to come OUT of the engine.

1 Like

I think you have gotten all the use this vehicle can provide and putting any large amounts of money is not wise. You are perfect candidate for a new vehicle to also reach a high number of miles. Besides the safety improvements since 1999 are great.

like the roadkill episode where they blew the motor in a prius. it had 270k and they beat it too death and than crushed it with a tank. some stuff on tv is just idiotic.

:smile:
I hear you knocking but you can’t come in…

1 Like

Fats Domino’s version, please!

A clanging noise?
Hmmmm…
Perhaps it is coming from the bell housing!

I’m sorry.
The Devil made me type that…
:wink:

3 Likes