1999 corolla, 190K miles, burns 5 qt oil in 1000 miles

Wait! He’s got a shot at being inducted into “The 62 Club”! Only 32,222 miles to go. If he buys his oil by the drum, maybe “only” about $250 worth of oil. LOL!

3 Likes

Seriously . . . ?!

You would actually replace pistons and rings on a 1999 Corolla with 190k miles . . . ?!

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but that makes no kind of financial sense whatsoever

here’s my thoughts . . .

Either check and top off fluids every weekend . . . should be doing this, anyways

donate the car to local npr-affiliated radio station

trade in on new car . . .

A 1999 Corolla with 190K is worth zilch . . . it doesn’t rate a huge engine repair

2 Likes

I got wrid of my 99 when it started to burn oil.The guy who bought it kept pooring oil into the crankcase but the damage was already done.See,Toyota didn’t drill enough oil return holes into the pistons and they clogged after a while.The reason you didn’t see an oil leak is that the engine was burning it internally.

So let’s see . . .

You got rid of your own 1999 car when it started to burn oil

Yet you recommend somebody else with a 1999 car with 190K that is burning a ton of oil should spend a lot of money replacing pistons and rings . . . ?!

I’m kind of confused :confused:

3 Likes

I knew what to expect but I needed something newer.Mine was not in great shape due to rusty undercarriage…I live in Canada.

I’m familiar with the problem

I had an earlier Corolla with the 7A-FE engine that also used a lot of oil

I guess that continuing to pour oil into it could make a person poor…
:wink:

2 Likes

At shop prices, you’re right. At DIY prices, it could make sense. Especially if the rest of the car is in good condition, and you like the car. Also, older models with no Big Brother technology are becoming more valuable.

1 Like

Based on the suggestions on this forum, the link COROLLAGUY1 had sent and based on what my local mechanic told me (based on visual inspection just by opening the hood), I too believe its the pistons and the rings that might be the culprit. The car is running great, no other issues or complaints, gives almost 400 highway miles on a full tank of gas (11 gallons). However, I dont have all the tools to lift up the car or open up the engine so may try the restore fuel stabilizer of the B12. I am in NJ and if someone can do it for cheap, its fine. Else with this 20 year old car, I cannot keep adding more money.

It may not make sense to overhaul or rebuild this engine, but for a lot less than the cost of a reman or rebuilt or overhauled engine, he can buy a lot of oil, especially if found on sale and really especially if he has a source of good used synthetic oil available. He could get a lot of economic life out of whats left and save up for a newer vehicle.

1 Like

I did it at 200k for a 2002 model year. Car now has 250k on it. I don’t expect to buy another car in my life and I’m 40.

As noted by another poster, it is only worth it if you can do all the work yourself AND the rest of the car is in good condition.

Exactly what “Big Brother technology” are you talking about . . . ?

Then don’t

Start stocking up on cheap engine oil . . . buy it at Costco when it’s on sale and store it in the garage. Check and top off every weekend.

You did what . . . ?!

Replaced rings and pistons . . . ?

I’m not sure that’s realistic . . .

I’m 47 and I expect to buy at least 3 more cars in my life time

1 Like

No they are not becoming more valuable . And why are you so paranoid ? Just posting here might be monitored :wink:.

3 Likes

Really?
If you expect that you will continue driving for 30 or more years, do you REALLY think that you won’t need to buy another vehicle for 30+ years?
Do you really think that your current vehicle–no matter what make it might be–will continue to be reliable in 20, or 25, or 30, or ??? years?
Really?
:thinking:

4 Likes

That’s precisely why I wear a tin foil hat when I’m online.

3 Likes

Does it look like this one . . . ?!

:laughing:

Reliability is subjective, but as an owner of older vehicles there’s no reason a 30, 40+ year old vehicle wouldn’t be completely drivable and serviceable. Provided it hasn’t been crashed beyond repair of course. Parts have to remain available too, but for the 99 Corolla part availability other than the ECM is unlikely to ever be a problem. The main factors that might prevent the OP’s objective is the car’s performance might eventually make it unsafe to drive among other cars on the road with faster 0-60 times, and consumables availability.

1 Like

I’m jumping on the “FIX IT” bandwagon! If you can’t do it yourself, find someone who will do it for $1500, then drive it 3 more years. I don’t have any problem with those metrics.

Of course, I would do it myself for about $500 (I’m guessing), which is a really good metric, then drive it to 250,000 miles.

1 Like

Replaced rings and valve seals; cleaned and modified pistons as shown in that link by CorollaGuy1. All wear items are in good or excellent shape and it has no rust.

I tricked you a little bit. I don’t intend to have a lifestyle dependent on a car when I’m older. My kids are getting this car in a few years and shortly afterward I intend to be living in a walkable community again. Shall I now be expecting disdain that I’d put my kids into this “ancient” car?

I honestly don’t care how you interact with your kids

1 Like