1999 Chevrolet Tahoe

May 1999 I bought myself a retirement gift; a new 1999 5.7 L 4WD Tahoe. Approximately 3 years ago the check engine light came on. A friends small computer showed I need to replace the right side catalyic converter. May 2016 we were able to fool the system to get emissions approval sticker. May 2017 the check engine light went out, don’t know why, I got through emissions check. 2 days later light came back on and is still on. I replaced the two O2 sinsers on the right side. Light still on. I have notice no change in performance or any noticeable difference in MPG or oil consumsion. My question is: Am I doing damage to the engine by continuing to drive the vehicle. Tahoe now has 168,000 miles .I have estimates on replacing the right side converter from $1,700 from dealership, $900 local garage, $300 muffler shop. I am determined to get at least 20 years service (May 2019) out of this Tahoe.
For the next 20 years, (that will put me at age 100). I would like to have the popular full 4 door short bed truck. Which brand would you recommend to last me 20 years? Looking for quality not the name brand. Thanks for your advice. Terry

Lets see, $1700 or $900 or $300. Even I can make a choice to spend less.

As for 20 year vehicle: Almost any thing sold now with proper maintenance will last that long unless the RUST monster gets it.

Toyota Tacoma

1 Like

Little late to ask that question…3 years!!!

Yosemite