1997 Toyota Land Cruiser Using Oil

Any estimates yet?

Nope. Life is coming at me too fast and furious. I no longer have time to even think about it–just have to keep hoping old reliable doesn’t fail me until I have time to do more maintenance. How 'bout you?

Before you do ANYTHING more, clean out the PCV system from one end to the other. REPLACE the suction hose. Clean out the vacuum port that hose is connected to…There should be a large air-flow at that port. If that does not cure the problem, have a real mechanic perform a cylinder leak-down test. It’s kind of like a compression test but it measures blow-by with compressed air. This will tell you FOR SURE the overall condition of your engine.

If the engine is shot, try to find a low mileage salvage yard engine. Failing that, a FACTORY long block, while more expensive, will serve you better than a rebuild…

I like it! Honestly, I didn’t know my PCV valve from a PVC pipe until doing a little research after reading your suggestion. This is starting to make more sense to me, as I am getting a check-engine light with an error code of P0401 (exhaust gas recirculation flow insufficient). Upon looking for my PCV valve and suction hose, I “discovered” another similar hose (slightly larger diameter and with no valve) running from the same general area along the air intake to the same general area on the valve cover. This larger hose is cracked where it attaches to the valve cover, and there is a fair amount of oil residue in that area.

Questions:

1. What is this larger hose?

2. How do I remove/repplace the PCV valve? It spins around but does not unscrew. I did not want to pull too hard on it wihtout knowing if that’s the right approach. It also has a rubber ring around it.

3. Can I buy the PCV valve and two hoses at any auto parts store, or am I better off going to a Toyota dealer?

4. When you say clean the PCV system “from one end to the other,” does this include anything besides the hose and valve?

5. Am I better off just replacing these parts instead of cleaning?

Thanks for your advice!

The valve will just pull out of the grommet in the valve cover. The hose attached to it will lead to a fairly large vacuum port. Make sure that port is not all plugged up. With the engine running and hose disconnected, squirt some carb cleaner into that port to the point the engine stalls…REPLACE the hose and valve.

In order to allow fresh air to enter into the engine, (to replace what the PCV sucked out) there will be be a second hose, (the larger hose you mentioned) usually connected between the air filter housing and the other end of the valve cover. If the PCV is plugged up, crankcase pressure will exit this vent hose, reversing it’s normal flow and blowing oil out as well. This vapor is normally drawn in through the carburetor and burned, a fail/safe system…But sometimes there is no oil baffle in the valve cover where this hose connects so LOTS of oil can be lost this way…The PCV port is well baffled to prevent this…

The EGR fault is not part of this problem and can be ignored for the time being.

Parts stores will sell the stiff vacuum hose you need to restore the system. But don’t forget to clean out that vacuum port the hose connects to!

Have you done anything yet…curious