1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager - riding rough

I have a 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager 3.0L that I just did a number of jobs on this past Saturday (see below), and it is now riding pretty rough. I’ll describe the problem first:

The rough riding and shaking is ONLY evident when pushing on the gas. It is especially noticeable when driving over 30 mph. It also feels like the van is dragging at higher speeds.

This problem was nonexistant before the work I did to the car this past Saturday, which included: New spark plugs, cap, rotor, spark plug wires, pcv valve, fuel filter, right front cv joint, crankshaft positioning sensor, and serpentine tensioner.

I suspect that the CPS is the issue and needs to be adjusted (i.e., timing issue). Has anyone else experienced rough riding after changing their inductive CPS?

It doesn’t seem that it would be related to the new plugs or wires, as I would expect the engine to ride rough whether I was pushing on the gas pedal or not.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

-Scott

Do you see any potential way to change the position of the CPS (slotted holes,anything?) I think not.

Has the check engine light came on. If so there is a code indicating a CPS, plus on this car you can retrieve the codes without a scanner. You may try to get the code by turning the ignition key on, off, on, off, and on. Note, on is run position not start position. The check engine light should go on as a bulb test then go off, the following flash that follow are codes, so if you had four quick flashes a short pause two more quick flashes followed by a long pause then five quick flashes a short pause, five more quick flashes. This would indicate two codes. The first code would be 42. Open or shorted fuel pump or ASD relay coil. Second code is 55. Which is end if diagnostic codes. You should always get that at the end.
If you can get the code number, and post back someone should be able to tell you what it is. Code 11 is camshaft and/or crankshaft position sensor signal fault that would leave the engine inoperable because there would be no way to time spark.

Good luck and post back

Thank you for the help. The check engine light is not on which driving, but it produced the following diagnostic codes: 12 & 55.

Any idea what those codes represent?

@ oldschool: There is a slotted hole for adjusting the position of the CPS. This is what makes me think I need to adjust the placement of the CPS.

In this case I must defer to the manual,I will check in my text and see if I come up with anything.

Thanks. Any help you can provide would be wonderful.

Just a thought, make sure the spark plug wires are installed in the correct order on the distributor cap. Also check that the wires are seated properly at the cap and spark plugs.

Good luck,

Ed B.

Code 12. Battery has been disconnected in the past 50 ignition on cycles.

And the code 55?

1. End of diagnostic codes