1997 Chevy S10 ZR2 5 speed Manual Tranny

I have a 1997b Chevy S10 ZR2. When I disengage the clutch the RPMs rev out of control, I shut the truck off and restart it, sometimes this helps till the next shift. It used to be only when I would come to a complete stop now it is every time I shift… PLEASE give me some ideas as I have my 1 year old granddaughter and this is unsafe to drive with her and I am at a loss… replaced complete clutch assembly just a year ago and as it is when disengaged not clutch??

Sounds like your IAC (idle air control) may be stuck wide open. Sometimes cleaning them will help - if not it’s an easy replacement.

This is off topic but I would like the OP give serious thought about getting a much safer vehicle to transport a one year old child in.

Are you suggesting a Volvo? They are not the most dependable cars on the planet. I have had no problems with S-10 pickups other than they are too small for me. Height…not weight. I also agree that your IAC is probably sticking or just bad.

OP is the child’s grandparent, not the mother

And presumably won’t be transporting the child every day

I agree that the parent(s) would hopefully have a newer and safer vehicle than a 1997 S10

The overwhelming majority of the populous drives the best car they can afford. The thought of someone getting a safer car to transport their grandchild in is a good one, but very rarely realistic.

So whenever you push down on the clutch pedal to shift the car, the engine rpms go up, really high rpms? And for a while at least if you shut off the engine, then restarted, that fixed it temporarily?

hmmm … my guess is something is sticking in the throttle body ass’y, including the IAC.

It isn’t unusual at all for folks here to report they occasionally have to remove the throttle body from the engine and do a good top to bottom bench cleaning on it and the throttle mechanism and IAC. Given your symptom, that’s probably what I’d try. Suggest to schedule a time with your mechanic to consult on this problem, and if they agree, have that done.

I read the OP’s post where they said they have the grandchild , I took that to mean like so many grand parents anymore have become the primary care , I liked the 1998 S10 we had but I would not put a child in a car seat in one on a regular basis.

Thank you all for your information! Changed the throttle body and the throttle cable thanks for thoughts will change out the IAC this week your information is most thankful. Before this problem I had the truck checked by my mechanic AND our state child safety officer and they certified it as safe to transport grandchild in I would NO WAY PUT HER IN ANY DANGER… Right now finances do not allow to replace the vehicle, but working on it. THANKS AGAIN

Seeing as how the throttle body and cable were replaced I wonder if there’s a chance that someone may have inadvertently gotten the cable in a bind or there’s not enough slack in the cable to allow the throttle plate to return fully.

Don’t get too down over finances or fret too much over the vehicle choice. I would wager that many of us, including my own self a few times, has been in financial squeezes and driven vehicles we were not particularly fond of.

My fantasy car is a Bugatti Veyron and I’ll have one as soon as I can scrape up a couple of million dollars for the car and a 100 grand a year for insurance and maintenance… :slight_smile:

If you sell the S10, don’t let the buyer lowball you too much

4x4 S10s are worth a LOT more than other S10 trucks. And you’ve got a ZR2, so by no means a plain jane S10 grocery-getter

db4690, thank you when running correctly LOVE off roading with it