1997 Chevy Lumina shifter

I have a 1997 Lumina that has a very stiff shifter. No matter the starting or ending position is takes quite a bit of effort to shift. I would say that it requires 15 or more pounds of pressure to shift. I have checked the transaxle fluid and it is within the marks. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?.

Thank you.

How long has it been like this? Did it come with the cold weather? You might need a different transaxle fluid, but I am going to guess it is a linkage issue and it needs an adjustment or maybe a part or two.

Friend here had a '97 Monte Carlo, which is the same car as yours. His floor shifter went south and had to be replaced. Dealer did it for $400. I think his just wouldn’t go into gear. It got so bad he couldn’t trust taking the car anywhere. Another co-worker had a GM car (Riviera?) of slightly earlier vintage that had the floor shifter replaced TWICE! Same thing - wouldn’t go into gear. Seems like floor shifters in GM cars wear out over time (unlike the tree shifters which seem to last forever). Good news is, you probably can replace the part yourself - I don’t think it’s too hard. Bad news is you have to buy the entire shift assembly - they don’t sell internal parts separately.