1996 Volvo 850 coolant reservoir

My 1996 Volvo 850 needs a new coolant reservoir, there is one on line for 17 dollars that is made for turbo and GLT models, and the one for all models is 46 dollars. Would the one for the turbo and GLT fit in my car or cause any problems?

Good question. I don’t know the answer.

Contact your local junk yard (automotive recycling center). They may have the exact part you need for less.

There are some things that can be done for less money without an Internet search.

Buy local.

An overflow reservoir is not rocket science. A plastic bottle out of recycling would work.

I would caution you about the reservoirs in junkyards. You may get lucky and find one that has been replaced recently, but most may be just as old as the one your replacing, and just as cracked or brittle. These reservoirs are typical for the European-style cooling systems and are part of the cooling system under pressure. Therefore, they go through cyclical heat AND pressure cycles that eventually weaken the plastic. Many of these sites also have images to help match up the parts. www.rockauto.com is my resource just to compare the parts to an image. $46 is not all that much for a part that originally lasted 15 years if the $17 part doesn’t look like it will fit.

Given the problem if the tank fails (stranding you), get the right part, and thank your lucky stars that it’s only costing you $46 to keep your '96 on the road.

My vendor lists the same part number for the 850, 850 GLT, and 850 Turbo, so it should fit.

On line price is $55 for the OEM tank and $35 for an aftermarket brand tank. I would be cautious about whatever you are getting for $17. As a general rule, I have not had good luck with car parts made in China and India.