1996 Saturn oil problem?

My daughters Saturn stalled while driving. She informed me the car burns an excessive amount of oil. While replacing the battery to check the alternator I tried to add oil to the engine when I noticed that it started to fill up and start coming up throught the filler tube. The engine will not crank, I hear a click but engine does not turn over. Based on how car stalled could the engine have siezed? Thanks

The engine may have seized, or, it may be an electrical/ starter circuit problem… She did say that the engine uses a lot of oil; but, she didn’t say that she added a lot of oil, did she?
Maybe, she added so much motor that it now shows in the dip stick hole. Ask her if she checked the dip stick (and, determine IF she can read the dip stick) before she added motor oil.
You might have to drain the motor oil out in a two gallon container, to determine how much oil is in the engine.
Attempt to turn the engine over by hand with a wrench on a nut on something driven by the belt(s).
Try that; then, get back to us with the results. We can share further ideas with you, to get the car repaired.

Filler tube? You fill through a cap in the valve cover.

Maybe this story would be cleared up if you wrote the whole story in order. I guess the engine would not restart. I guess you bought a new battery. I guess you didn’t check the oil level when you were putting new oil in the engine. The engine may have seized when it stalled but stalling doesn’t have to mean that it seized. So, can you post a reply with some kind of explanation?

She informed me the car burns an excessive amount of oil.

Not at all unusual for a 1996 Saturn, the manufacturer considers what I would normally be excessive to be normal oil usage.  Exactly how much oil does it use per X amount of miles? 

tried to add oil to the engine when I noticed that it started to fill up and start coming up throught the filler tube.

Oil filler tube? Note: overfilling the oil in a car can cause serious damage to the engine.

My daughters Saturn stalled while driving

See above.

The engine will not crank, I hear a click but engine does not turn over. Based on how car stalled could the engine have siezed?

Maybe, very low oil or over filled oil can cause the engine to seize. I also could be a battery with a bad connection or insufficient energy.

What was the oil level when the engine stopped?