1996 Lincoln Town Car Hot Plugs and Octaine and Power flat spots

I have a 96 Town Car gets great highway gas milage at 65mpg in the right lane it shows 28-31 mpg even with AC on. But I feel flat spots in the power level of the engine while cruising with cruise control on. I changed the spark plugs and notice the center elements on all the plugs was reduced in diameter by about half. I have been running the car for years on regular gas and have never heard any pinging. Is cross fireing in the plug wires or too hot a plug or low octaine or something else likely to be the problem(s). Or is timing too advanced.

Thanks Sven

If the center electrodes on the plugs were worn down this means the plugs should have been replaced long before that point.
Plugs will misfire in that condition and this can in turn damage plug wires and coils.
30-40k miles is about the point where regular copper core plugs should be replaced. Platinums, etc. can usually go a while longer.

What about the fuel filter? When, or if, was it last changed?

No Panther ever made got 65 mpg…few can squeeze out 30, most average 22-26…Change the fuel filter and add a can of BG-44K to the gas when the tank is 1/4 full or less. This will remove all combustion chamber deposits and clean the injectors. Also, clean the air-flow sensor screen. Be sure to use the correct cleaner.

I have a 96 Town Car gets great highway gas milage at 65mpg in the right lane it shows 28-31 mpg even with AC on.

Could you take a look at that again and maybe edit it so it makes sense?

BTW Tester is right about the plugs.

Erosion of electrodes is normal with plug use. It sounds like it may be time for a complete tuneup. How many miles does the car have?

Opps, I should have written 65 MPH. I have changed the plugs and air filter. The car has 160,000. I’ll be changing the wires and fuel filter next. How do I edit my first entry with mph instead of mpg.

Thanks

No edit feature on this board…Clean the air-flo sensor, check for any air leaks…