1995 Toyota 4 Runner

Big fan of the show… used to listen every Saturday in Chicago… Now I live in Cambodia and have to wait to download the podcasts. (and I mean wait… internet here is slow!!!) –

I drive a 1995 4runner… and lately have had a problem when first starting the car after it’s been sitting for a few hours or overnight. First it somewhat starts tries to idle (the rpm needles bounces around) then it dies out. I can usually get it started right away if I just hold the key and let the starter go a little longer. (then it idles almost dies but doesn’t) –

After I get it started it usually lacks power for a little while (not that long) then drives fine. When I park and go into a shop or something and come out it’s fine, will start right back up no problem and run well. Only really seems to happen if it’s been sitting for a while…

Trying to get a heads up of the possible problems it could be before taking it into a Mechanic here.

Thanks a bunch-

Nik

The next time the vehicle has sat, turn the ignition switch to the run position so that the dash lights come on for two seconds, and then turn the ignition off. Repeat this a half a dozen times and then try starting the engine. If the engine starts right up, it indicates that the check valve in the fuel pump assembly is allowing the gas in the fuel system to bleed back into the gas tank.

Tester

This might be a dumb question, but is this a diesel?