1995 ford probegt automatic transmission

I have a 1995 ford probe gt with 117,000 original kilometers on it. It is an automatic transmission and when it shifts it kinda has a light jerk. at high rpms it is a bigger jerk or jump. what could this be? is my transmission slipping or is it something else?

Start by checking your tranny fluid level, following the instructions in your owner’s manual exactly. If it’s low, use only the approved fluid.

Post back. If it smells bad or looks black, add that to the post.

Slipping symptom is usually the rpms go up more than normal in between upshift. Jerky shifting, I’d more suspect the unit needs a proper fluid & filter replacement service as a start. If that doesn’t fix it, you probably looking at a problem with the governor or valves in the valve body are starting to leak and not holding pressure. As part of a service the shop can measure some of those pressures. A transmission shop could check to make sure all the stuff that is necessary between the transmission and the engine and the powertrain computer to make it work correctly remains connected to where it needs to go.

Good advice already posted. I’d have the transmission fluid and filter changed - not flushed - on a car this old with such low mileage anyway. Mya just fix the problem assuming the fluid is not burnt. Burnt indicates slipping and that won’t be fixed by a fluid change.

i also have a problem with the overdive button not working. a couple weeks ago i pressed it just to see if it would work and it did but only for that one time. ive seen people on the internet saying that the O/D OFF button is flashing but mine isn’t. should i try to change the fluid or is this a bigger issue?

i also have a problem with the overdive button not working. a couple weeks ago i pressed it just to see if it would work and it did but only for that one time. ive seen people on the internet saying that the O/D OFF button is flashing but mine isn’t. should i try to change the fluid or is this a bigger issue ?

Not sure why you are pressing the overdrive button. That is only to turn it off and when vehicle is shut off the next time it starts the overdrive is functional as normal.

I know that. I use my gears going down hills, and I push the button to downshift into 3rd but the button doesn’t work at all. could it be a fuse or something that is wrong with my transmission.?

Overdrive not engaging can be caused by low fluid or contaminated/burned fluid. Electronic problems can cause that too. Usually if the fluid is burned, there’s problems inside the valve body that require a full rebuild. If it is just low, or a little dirty, you can usually recover from that with a proper service, as long as you don’t drive the car too many miles like that.

thanks. ill change the fluid and check some of the fuses and let you know if it worked.

I would not use the transmission on down hills to slow you down, unless you are driving down a mountain, or some other very long down grade where the brakes may overheat.

Use the brakes. Replacing brake pads is much cheaper than overhauling an automatic transmission.

Although this may be academic if you transmission is now toast.

ive down it in toher vehicles but not in this one because the O/D dosnt work. any ideas other than low transmission fluid for what could be wrong with the O/D?