1995 Chevrolet Silverado, 4X4

I must admit(laugh if you must) I have never owned a 4x4 truck, car or SUV. I bought a cheap silverado diesel 4X4 when I visit my farm that I lease. The 4WD engages by a lever in the center floor below the radio. I don’t have any problems getting the 4WD to engage but going back to 2WD it makes a terrible grinding noise. Am I doing something wrong? Are there any videos that show the engaging and disengaging of 4WD? Please help a rookie…that grinding noise can’t be normal or good for the transfer case! Thanks in advance!

I have a 1994 Suburban and, assuming the drive trains are similar, your problem may be that you are shifting from 4L (which should only be used for off-road situations) instead of 4H. On my truck I can shift from 2H to 4H while moving and my foot off the gas. Now the owner’s manual says that when shifting from 2H to 4L or back the vehicle should be barely moving forward (1-3mph) and the transmission must be in neutral. The transfer case lever must be shifted in one continuous motion. If you pause in neutral the gears could clash. Hope this helps.

@kescott1910 you’re not trying to shift between 2WD and 4x4 on the fly, are you?!

No. I come to a complete stop.

Okay. Driver error is NOT a factor, in that case.