1994 Toyota Corolla overheating

I have a 1994 Toyota Corolla with a heating problem. The water pump and the thermostat had just been replaced. The conditions that the engine overheats are while driving. The radiator fans are working. Coolant is leaking around the water pump area.

The hoses going to and from the heater core both hot after the engine warms up. What can be done to solve this problem?

The water pump has just been replaced and coolant is leaking around the water pump area? That’ll need to be corrected for the system to hold pressure, and it needs to do that to prevent boilover.

There are a number of possibilities for overheating problems on a 16 year old car. They include

1. a radiator coated and/or clogged inside from years of use. This can be checked with a pyrometer, but on a 16 year old car I might just change the radiator
  2. a system that cannot hold pressure…normally I’d suggest a radiator cap, but you already know you have a system leak,
  3. hoses with collapsed linings…I’d put new hoses in when changing the radiator
  4. a blown headgasket…this can be checked in a number of ways, the best IMHO being a pressure leakdown test.

If you don’t have your heating system fan on the heater core will dissipate very little heat.