1993 Sundance Engine Repair Questions

As mentioned above, A naturally aspirated engine, also known as a normally aspirated engine, and abbreviated to N/A or NA, is an internal combustion engine in which air intake depends solely on atmospheric pressure and does not have forced induction through a turbocharger, supercharger or Nitrous Oxide (better know as NOS)
It is not more complicated than that…

3 Likes

This project is not going to end well. The idea of “rebuilding” an engine without measuring anything is rideclous and not properly marking the bearing caps is a small disaster that clearly puts this job way beyond your capability. Have you even checked and measured the bore of the cylinder with the knocking rod to see if it is salvageable?

I am an admirer of most things Chrysler but the Sundance is probably the least desirable car they ever made and the 2.5 the worst 4 cylinder engine.

3 Likes

This is one of those “halfway across the river” scenarios. Not going all the way, it would have been better to leave as much as possible untouched and just changed the bad bearing, hoping for the best. Sincere best of luck, I hope it turns out OK with the current plan.

Not intended as a reflection on OP, reading made me think of a guy in high school that took apart his car engine and didn’t bother to mark anything. He did the least possible and then reassembled it. Surprisingly, it ran but it was like one of those fruit tree fogging machines and didn’t last very long after that. Later, he went to college, majoring in Mechanical Engineering…

Bearing clearances should definitely be checked with the new crank.

Sometimes the best way to learn is to learn from your mistakes. Hopefully he didn’t repeat this later on. You can sometimes get away with quick and dirty repairs on low performance lawnmower engines but not a regular car engine.

I’ve heard theory of removing balance shaft so motor revs faster. Not sure if bal chain/belt is removed and shaft left in place. Things I’ve never spent much time contemplating.

That would avoid oil pressure problems, and be simpler. I’m sure that rough engine FELT more powerful, and that’s all tat matters!

1 Like

Your best bet for advice on this project is a Mopar-specific forum, like Allpar.com.