1993 Suburu Legacy EJ22E H4/IDLE ISSUES

I don’t predict a very long membership in this forum for the OP.
:thinking:

3 Likes

@cdaquila Carolyn , intervention time ?

Amen to that. This is the prototype of a lost cause.

Hello, @Lucifer28. Pleased to meet you. I read the thread and it started out so reasonably, and then it went awry. I don’t think @BillRussell meant to give you unhelpful advice, but that’s sort of the nature of getting advice from strangers on the internet. They don’t necessarily know what you know or don’t know before you joined. They’re doing the best they can, and I assume you’re doing the same.

I’d have no problem checking someone for being unhelpful to a new member. But telling someone he’s ignorant, or to return to first-grade lessons, or he’s being a [jerk] isn’t a proportionate response to the treatment you’ve gotten here so far.

So, @lucifer28, can we go back a bit and focus on the problem as you’ve said? What can they help you with, now that we’ve established it’s not a fried computer? Please don’t keep calling names, though.

3 Likes

Second the BillRussell comment on disconnecting the battery while the car is running, the battery is required to absorb alternator voltage transients that in some cases can exceed 100vts. Your computer may have robust transient protection though less critical circuits may have less, disconnecting the battery while running stressed things considerably and may have set up various semiconductor devices for failure down the road.

What do you mean by “ripple issues”? If electrical “ripple” on the 12VDC side of the diodes (alternator output) it could indicate a battery with high internal resistance, perhaps a partially open cell, or possibly a failing diode.
A capable charging system tester will tell you the ripple voltage which you can compare to spec.

Have your battery tested with an internal resistance type tester. Also look for a relationship between surging and voltage by measuring the voltage at the battery when the problem is occurring at idle, headlights on and off, and also at higher rpm, maybe 1500-2000 rpm. If you see a relationship and voltage is going too low you may have an electrical system issue.

I had an alternator ripple problem and the battery needed replacing.