1993 Mercedes-Benz S-Class - Which battery?

What battery Amp. Needs M.B. 300se
6 cylinder

Any place that sells batteries will have a chart that they go by to sell you the correct battery .

5 Likes

Volvo’s right, but if you are a AAA member one option is to have it brought to you. Here’s how it works.

If you get it started, take it to an auto parts store and they will switch out the battery for you. This is true for many of the chain stores. Make sure they have the battery in stock first, reserve it, then stop by for the exchange. The store gives you a rebate when you exchange the old battery for the new one. Having the work done at the store ensures them that they get the old battery and saves you an extra trip.

Group 49 or H8

Group 49 is a regular flooded lead acid battery and is the battery that came with the car

H8 is physically the same size as group 49 . . . but it’s an agm battery and thus a little pricier

Here’s what I would do . . . go to to Costco, if you’re a member

Don’t let anybody talk you into group 48. that’s too small, and when they do this, it’s because they don’t have the right one in stock, and they just want to sell you what they have. It will fit with no modifications to the car, but it’s still the wrong size. Also don’t buy group 48 to save a few bucks. It’s not worth it.

I know for a fact that they have the correct size(s) for your car, because I saw them there the other day.
Costo has pretty much the best prices on car batteries and their warranty is pretty good and they don’t ask ANY questions should the battery fail

1 Like