1992 Cadillac Brougham - oil

I have a 92 Cadillac brougham, what oil do I need too use? In owners manual it says , API SERVICE SG, SAE 5W 30, energy conserving 2. It also says GM Goodwrench oil

Any brand of oil is okay.
Go to pqiamerica.com for complete information. Below is a comment oil grades from that site.
Note that SG is now obsolete.
Personally, I go with the most current service grade, ie SN PLUS.
I am guessing you just purchased the car. With an unknown service history it needs a thorough inspection by an automotive, non-chain, shop. Likely all the fluids require changing.

American Petroleum Institute
Gasoline Engine Oil Service Classifications
Category Status Service
SN PLUS Current On November 9, 2017, the API Lubricants Standards Group approved the adoption of SN PLUS, a new classification that may be used in conjunction with API SN and API SN with Resource Conserving. API began licensing oils against the SN PLUS classification on May 1, 2018. Click for more details.
SN Current Introduced in October 2010 for 2011 and older vehicles, designed to provide improved high temperature deposit protection for pistons, more stringent sludge control, and seal compatibility. API SN with Resource Conserving matches ILSAC GF-5 by combining API SN performance with improved fuel economy, turbocharger protection, emission control system compatibility, and protection of engines operating on ethanol-containing fuels up to E85.
SM Current For 2010 and older automotive engines.
SL Current For 2004 and older automotive engines.
SJ Current For 2001 and older automotive engines.
SH Obsolete CAUTION - Not suitable for use in most gasoline-powered automotive engines built after 1996. May not provide adequate protection against build-up of engine sludge, oxidation, or wear.
SG Obsolete CAUTION - Not suitable for use in most gasoline-powered automotive engines built after 1993. May not provide adequate protection against build-up of engine sludge, oxidation, or wear.
SF Obsolete CAUTION - Not suitable for use in most gasoline-powered automotive engines built after 1988. May not provide adequate protection against build-up of engine sludge.
SE Obsolete CAUTION - Not suitable for use in gasoline-powered automobile engines built after 1979.
SD Obsolete CAUTION - Not suitable for use in gasoline-powered automobile engines built after 1971. Use in more modern engines may cause unsatisfactory performance or equipment harm.
SC Obsolete CAUTION - Not suitable for use in gasoline-powered automobile engines built after 1967. Use in more modern engines may cause unsatisfactory performance or equipment harm.
SB Obsolete CAUTION - Not suitable for use in gasoline-powered automobile engines built after 1951. Use in more modern engines may cause unsatisfactory performance or equipment harm.
SA Obsolete CAUTION - Not suitable for use in gasoline-powered automobile engines built after 1930. Use in more modern engines may cause unsatisfactory performance or equipment harm.

1 Like

Well that might really confuse someone who can’t just go to a parts store and say ( I need oil for a 1992 Cadillac ).

At least the OP looked in the owner’s manual.

4 Likes

The simple answer is: ANY off the shelf 5W30 oil available at Walmart, auto parts stores and gas stations is better than what was in the car new. As long as it has 5W30 on the label, you are OK.

3 Likes

In the way of an FYI …

Automobile oil is a manufactured product, refined, additives, etc, to achieve the desired physical properties for auto engine use. The first well-defined spec was SA,1920’s. Later came SB, SC …etc. My 73 truck — SE, 78 Rabbit – SF, 92 Corolla - SG. Well you get the idea. This would be impossible to manage, except that changes to the spec are generally backwards compatible. In other words SN (the current spec) is compatible w/all (or at least most) past model year engines. You may be able to find out more at the American Petroleum (API) Institute’s website.

5, and 30 are the viscosity-spec limits. 5 is thinner ( less viscous) then 30. The oil acts like a 5 at lower engine temperatures, and 30 at higher (e.g. at full operating temperature). Oil’s viscosity changes w/temperature too, so comparing 5 at low temp vs 30 at high, the temp change has to be taken into account to determine the actual viscosity. The “W” means winter; i.e. colder tempertures. I think SAE means Society of Automobile Engineers.

No idea what “energy conserving 2” means. Caddy dealership parts dept would probably know. “GM Goodwrench” is a brand that presumably sells an oil with these specs, but is otherwise unrelated to oil specifications.

It’s “all”, correct? Any issues you know of with compatitbility of older cars with newer oils? Aside from older engines (pre 1980 or so) requiring more zinc for the tappets?

Not sure. There could be some exceptions I suppose. I expect if there were, they’d be shown in the owner’s manual.

You want 5W30 oil that is SG or some letter above G. Most likely, it will be easy to find.

Very easy. As @Mustangman said, any 5w-30 name brand oil from a store will work.

2 Likes