1991 toyota pick up/timing belt replace?

does anyone know after how many miles should the timing belt be replaced for a 1991 toyota pick up, v6? it’s been driven normally for commuting and some hwy travel. we’re going on a very long road trip this fall and i was wondering if it should be replaced.

This should all be spelled out in your owners manual.

Normal replacement intervals are around 100k miles or 7 years. You’re WAY overdue.

You don’t state the model of truck or the mileage, but based on the elapsed TIME, you are LONG OVERDUE for a timing belt replacement.

In my 2007 maintenance section, a Toyota V6 powered vehicle with a timing belt needs to have its timing belt changed every 72 months (6 years ) or 90,000 miles whichever comes first.

Please read your owner’s manual, to make sure it has a timing belt. Some V6 engines have timing chains, which do not need regular replacement.

The type of driving you do does not matter; it’s the mileage and age that count! Rubber deteriorates with age as well as mileage.

In my 2007 maintenance section, a Toyota V6 powered vehicle with a timing belt needs to have its timing belt changed every 72 months (6 years ) or 90,000 miles whichever comes first.

Toyota went back to a Belt for the V6’s in 2007?? My 4runner has a V6 with a chain…the V8 however has a belt.

Mike; the wording is a little confusing; it says "All V6 & V8 powered vehicles (except Avalon, FJ Cruiser, 4Runner (V6), Tundra (V6), Tacoma (V6), RAV4 (V6), Camry (V6); Replace timing belt… This would imply that all these V6 vehicles listed have Chains. All others with V6 or V8 have belts. Your 4Runner would have a chain.

OP has a 1991 which likley has a belt.

The timing belt maker www.gates.com shows the pickup with a 3.0L V6 engine with a timing belt. It shows the engine as NOT being an interference fit engine. This means that the engine shouldn’t be trashed when the timing belt breaks. You still need to get it changed soon.

thanks, it’s been replaced twice already, but we’re taking a really long trip so i wanted to be sure that it wasn’t due again! i was looking in the chilton manual and it didn’t have the info i wanted. i appreciate your reply…thanks.

according to the chilton manual it has a belt, but i could have misread…i’ll check again. thanks.