1989 acura integra

what is considered a complete tune up? and what parts are included?

thanks,

spitfire27

Advertised tune up specials generally only include spark plugs, everything else is extra.

When I inherited a 93 Caprice in 2002 I decided to tune it up and replace all the fluids.

Basic (to me) Tune up

• Spark Plugs
  • Spark Plug wires
  • Distributor Cap and Rotor
  • Fuel and Air filters
  • serpentine belt (not really part of a tune up, but OEM belt was 9 years old and in bad shape)

Fluids

• Oil, Lube, and filter
  • Antifreeze and check hoses
  • Trans fluid and filter
  • Rear Differential (not applicable to FWD)

Hope this helps,

Ed B.

Yep I’m with edb. When I do my son’s Acura, I do the plugs, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, and PCV. Usually oil change at the same time. Belts are inaccessible to normal people so I hire that. Trans fluid changes are so easy I do that too from time to time.

thank you edb.

thank you bing.

The term “tune-up” is essentially meaningless because if you asked 10 people what it included, you would likely get at least 8 different answers.

Instead of saying that you want “a tune-up”, you should first see what is specified for the major services (likely 30k, 60k and 90k) for your car, and you can find this information in either the Owner’s Manual or a separate booklet for the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule. Once you have the appropriate list, you can price that exact list of procedures at various places. That way you have a level playing field, so to speak.

Only in that way can you do two things:
*Perform exactly which procedures are necessary
*Get an accurate price comparison

thank you vdcdriver

I’d add a $5 can of brake fluid, some plastic hose and a soda bottle. Change the brake fluid every two years, it makes a big difference. I usually siphon as much as I can (without reaching bottom) on the master cylinder, re-fill with fresh fluid. Then I open the bleeders (one at a time) and pump the old fluid out until clear, each wheel. Adds maybe a half hour to a major tune-up, but brakes are important. Rocketman

thank you rocketman…