1988 Ford Bronco

I have a 1988 full size Ford Bronco that when I start it the motor keeps turning over even when I turn the key off. I installed a new solenoid thinking that would do the trick and it worked correctly the first time, but the second time it kept turning over until I unhooked the battery. What is the problem? Is it the ignition key?

I would bet ignition switch.

Klatu-Barrato- Nicto… The second coming.

The Day The Earth Stood Still. The original was the best.

So that what she was telling the giant robot.

Learn something new every day.

Yosemite

I agree the original was good

I haven’t seen the remake, but I heard it was a very mediocre movie

We have had several with two current threads re starters that self excite and for no particular reason it reminded me of that movie. It amazes me that we watch movies with outrageous situations and just accept them as part of the plot regardless how outrageous. Wasn’t the scenario that everything that needed electricity to operate shut down instantly around the world EXCEPT the airplanes in flight and iron lungs and hospitals etc were spared.

I guess I should be surprised than anyone else remembered the movie. Or even saw the movie. It’s been a while.

A hot/ground indicator test light and a wiring diagram with a lot of patience will usually get to the bottom of such problems but that robots talents would be welcomed.

I saw the movie because I love watching classic movies, especially good sci-fi

I love the turner classic movie channel, and sometimes I even buy blu-rays of classic movies that I like, provided the price is reasonable

Getting back to cars . . . remember that scene in Forbidden Planet, when Robby the robot was driving that car, and he wouldn’t drive off, until his passengers buckled their seatbelts?

I remember some cars from the 70s that wouldn’t even start, if the driver’s seatbelt wasn’t latched. And they had weird symbols in the cluster, some of which didn’t really resemble a seat belt buckle

I remember that movie well even if had not seen it in at least 15 years.

For the time it was some good special effects, but I doubt that many people know or care that the airplanes kept flying and the Iron Lungs still worked. Most people, the only thing they know about electricity is that it lights the light bulbs and charges their phones.

I overheard someone tell others over dinner the difference between AC and DC. He said that AC motors were invented before electricity was invented and DC was after it was invented. When one lady at that table looked my way and made eye contact, I just shook my head in wonderment. She smiled back and must have been thinking on the same thoughts as I was.

I never see re-makes of classics. To me it’s cheating. Everything’s already been done and you are just making a copy with few changes.
If a movie’s a flop and you think that you can do better, more power to you.

No one is going to do better job as John Wayne in True Grit, Jimmy Stewart in Rear Window, Katherine Hepburn in The African Queen, or Gary Cooper in Mr Deeds goes to town.

Yosemite

I recall a seat belt inter lock from long ago that required a step by step procedure to get the module to allow the engine to start and the buzzer to shut off and disconnecting the buzzer totally disabled the system so nothing worked. I forget what the over ride involved but was forced to disable a couple of them. They were domestic commercial vans of some make.

@Yosemite‌

A few months ago, when I was in Big Lots! . . . I saw a $3 DVD of Mr Deeds goes to town

I snatched it up

I’m sure the BluRay . . . if there even is one of this movie . . . has better picture quality, but for $3 you can’t go wrong

I have the original “The Day The Earth Stood Still” in my extensive SciFi collection. It remains one of the best SciFi movies ever made.

Re: the '88 Bronco, is this carbureted?
Carburated engines can develop a dieseling problem wherein they just keep dieseling until the float bowl runs dry. A carburetor draws fuel in via suction from the pistons pulling fuel from the flat bowl. If an engine has hot spots in its cylinders from carbon buildup and the heat retained by the carbon is hot enough to create spontaneous ignition, and it the throttle plate allows any air passage, the pistons will keep pulling fuel in, it’ll keep mixing with oxygen, the heat will keep firing it, and the engine will keep running.

Back in the early '70s, when manufacturers first began trying to comply with the new Clean Air and Water Act, one of their first changes was to increase engine operating temperatures. The increased temperatures combined with the fuel in the float bowls and the slightly opened throttle plates (commonly idle was set on a fixed “step” on a bracket) made dieseling commonplace. Manufactures solved the problem by putting the idle setting on the end of a solenoid called an “antidieseling solenoid” that deenergized when the key was turned OFF and allowed the throttle plate to close fully, eliminating the air supply and choking the engines. The problem was common and well known to those of us that were around then. The idle-stop solenoid brackets on the Vega even broke and dangled the solenoid in the accelerator linkage… mine broke just before the recall came out. I took it to the airframes guys and had the bracket welded back together with a gusset plate for reinforcement.

So, in summary, if the engine is carbureted and you’re describing dieseling, you want to look at the throttle plate closure (if it doesn’t close complete when the key is OFF, why not) and things that might cause hot cylinders, like carbon buildup, sparkplug of the wrong temp range, or lean metering.

I’m always looking in those 3 & 5 dollar racks too for old movies. And $3 was a great price.

I like many of the old car chase movies, Bullet, Cannonball Run, Vanishing point.

Yosemite

Great save @Yosemite.