1987 Volvo 760 and 1996 Volvo 850

I have two Volvos. I live in Denver and like to drive up the mountain roads on weekends during both summer and winter conditions. The 1987 Volvo 760 has a 4 cylinder gasoline turbocharged engine, does not require synthetic oil or premium fuel. I still have the original engine, automatic transmission, turbocharger with 196,000+ miles of use. Two fuel pumps; one inside the fuel tank.

The 1996 Volvo 850 5 cylinder, normally aspirated, gasoline engine with 5 speed manual transmission which produces about the same amount of horsepower as the 1987 760 4 cylinder turbo car. This 1996 car has 215,000+ miles of use. One fuel pump (inside the fuel tank).

The 4 cylinder turbo engine gets slightly less highway mpg; both get about the same city mpg. The turbo lag is a non-issue. Both engines have been trouble free.

The key to an engine’s long life–regularly scheduled maintenance!!

I usually write that is a bad idea to put your email address on an unsecured web site but this time I am going to write it is stupid. Not sure the reason for your post.

You’ve certainly gotten some good results there with your cars. Congrats. I suspect your driving habits tend to be on the conservative side, right? Not a lot of jack rabbit starts, hard cornering, and slamming on the brakes.

Congratulations on the service you’ve gotten from your Volvos. Good maintenance is certainly one of the keys to long engine life, along with routine monitoring and fixing things when something does break.

I too suggest that you not use your personal email address or any other personal information in internet posts. There are a whole lotta loose nuts out there that aren’t attached to cars.

Do you have a question. Or just want a pat on the back, and a plug for Volvo?

A couple of things - @mchitwood10@yahoo.com, I also don’t recommend that you use your e-mail address as your username, and if you like I can change it at your request. I didn’t preemptively do it because you might not get my message about it, and then find yourself unable to log in.

And two, while I’m in here, I think we should go a little easier on mchitwood for making a comment and not a question. Not every comment here is in direct response to the question asked, and sometimes conversations arise outside the question-to-answer formula.

& its interesting to hear about the good things that happen to car owner’s maintenance & repair experiences, not just the problems.