1987 Toyota Corolla AE86 (GTS)

My 17 year old ‘car guy’ son is interested in buying this car. He will be using this car everyday to drive to school and back and wherever he chooses to work and back again. He and my husband are going to test drive it tomorrow.
It has a new rebuilt motor as of earlier this year among other modifications - it looks very fancy and shiny under the hood. It is a 5 or 6 speed manual. It has no a/c, a few rattles and other minor glitches that comes with a 24 year old car! We live in the Pacific Northwest and have our share of snow, ice, and maybe just a little rain. Do you recommend this car? Thanks :slight_smile:

How much?

This car along with the Honda CRX of that era are very popular among the young and inexperienced that want to drive fast. So I see 2 problems; one that the car has already been pushed pretty hard-with a lot of modifications by anybody who has a wrench. Problem two is concern for your son’s safety, old car with outdated safety features (?AIrbag/ABS etc) and a kid that probably wants to drive fast and race; recipe for trouble. (Not that I haven’t done that, but you sometimes get lucky in life)

Unlike the CRX, the AE86 is rear wheel drive and is a desirable car among those who are fans of Japanese anamae videos. it is a favorite of drifters as well.

As long as he’s responsible, this might be a good car for him. I suggest you sign him up for some autocross instruction (don’t worry, he’ll love it) as that will teach him how to handle the car when things get squirrely (such as sliding on ice, etc), which will help keep him out of trouble while also showing him that there are places that are good and safe outlets for the desire all of us males share to hoon our cars from time to time.

So basically it comes down to a simple question: Can you trust him not to be an idiot on the street in this thing? If so, go for it. If not, get him the slowest car you can find.

Thanks, guys…my husband and son are test driving it today…will keep you posted :slight_smile:

Well, much to my son’s dismay…we have decided to pass on the car. Too many lack of safety issues and a concern about the car needing a lot of expensive maintenance. Now my son is looking at a VW Golf…he is not excited :frowning: Any suggestions of other cars for us to look at? Thanks!!

What’s your budget?

$20,000 out the door including tax, title, license and addtn’l warranty if necc…
Thanks…

Now that we have a budget, who’s buying? Him or you guys?
For 20 grand you can get a brand new Mazda 2, Hyundai Accent, Ford Fiesta, Nissan Versa. Don’t get hung up on buying used, especially 5 years old or newer, as they will cost almost as much as a brand new one. In some cases a 2 or 3 year old car will be priced MORE than the new one.
NEVER buy an extended warranty, those are pretty much a scam.

look at 07-09 Civic Si’s. Reliable, safe, and sporty enough for a highschool kid.