1986 volvo 240 engine noise and lost power

So i had it in the shop last month with complete diagnostics done on it and had the oil gauge fixed and the engine has been running fine since i got the car on october last year. I had the ac blower fan installed as well.

Well tonight on my way home from work the engine just started making this clacking noise whenever i would accelerate and the engine started to lose power and get really loud. Im not sure what happened. I couldn’t come to a complete stop and it died when i finally did park. Im going to be checking the spark plugs and oil but would like some advice on what i should do or what it could be. I’ll also be calling my mechanic who worked on it to ask his advice as well. The only other issue rhe car had is the fuel pump hums. Could it have anything to do with that?

My personal opinion and it is biased. It’s a 32 year old Volvo. Cut your losses and move on.

How many miles on this engine? Or since its last rebuild?

Clicking and lost power could mean something inside the engine has failed.

The first thing YOU must do is pull the engine oil dipstick and check the motor oil level. Do you EVER check the motor oil level? Just wondering…

You say there was an oil gauge repair last month and I wonder if that was trying to tell you something.

If it’s out of oil then the engine may be wiped.

1 Like

I agree with @ok4450

After checking your oil level, the next thing you do is check if the engine even turns over

if it doesn’t turn over with the starter, at least see if you can turn it over manually, using a 1/2" drive breaker bar and the appropriate sized socket

If you can’t turn it over by hand, just get rid of the car

Please explain that . . .

do you mean to say you bought the car in October of 2017 . . . ?

Or do you mean you’ve had it for a long time, and you got it back from the shop in October of 2017?

I got the car in october of last year and it ran fine and it still starts fine. I had a old friend take a loom and he said it sounds like its not getting enough air or gas but the engine itself sounds okay and i got.this car because i want to learn how to work on vehicles so im not ready to cut my losses on a project. But when looking at the engine the guy who owned it before me kept it well maintained and i was having no problems with the engine before saturday night and i checked the oil and it needs changed but its not low and there are no leaks under my car wherever i park it. The fuel pump hums but i have plans to replace the inner fuel pump soon. And the only thing that changed before it stalled was that a hissing sound that happened only when i accerlate turned into a kind of flapping sound. But the engine still turna over fine

I took a video of me starting it and revving it , you can hear it want to die when i take my foot off the gas.

Also upon further inspection of the vehicle it has had alot of work done on the engine and most of the parts on it look fairly new for the age of the car and all the belts are fine. The only thing i had installed was the ac blower fan and mt guages fixed and suspension along with other non engine repairs.

So, I ask again. Did you bother to check the motor oil level before starting the engine and posting the video?
Engine noise and power loss is not necessarliy the same as dying when you take your foot off the gas.

Bad choice of vehicle, and way too old

Should have bought something domestic and common

For example a Mustang with the 4.2 liter engine, or a Chevy pickup with a 350 small block

A hissing sound could be a vacuum leak, and that could be the reason it won’t stay running at idle unless you hold the pedal down. Certainly wouldn’t be an unexpected thing to have a vacuum hose or vacuum controlled gadget spring a leak on a 30+ year old vehicle. Clanking noises during acceleration could be caused by major engine problems as mentioned above but also by something as simple as some kind of interference (for example the radiator fan) happening b/c the engine mounts are allowing the engine to twist too far in the mounts. Take a look in the engine compartment for something that rotates and has new-looking marks on it, like it is hitting against something. Another test: Rev the engine in the driveway, does it move (twist) quite a bit more than you’d expect it to?

You want to keep an antique car running. Do you have the repair manuals for it? You’ll need them. And you’ll want to join Volvo forums with areas for the 240.

Your engine is running on 3 cylinders, you need to diagnose that misfire problem.