1986 Mercedes

I have a 1986 Mercedes, 190E, 90K miles. It’s in beautiful condition. I’m thinking about selling it for between $3,000 and $4,000. A few people have told me that it will be more valuable if I hold on to it for another year because it will then be 25 years old. Is this true?

In my opinion…No. The vehicle will be just another year older. A vehicle is only worth what someone will pay for it anyway. Good luck on the 3-4K.

thanks for your response – that’s what I’ve been thinking also.

I have a 1989 190E, it’s worth about $1,500. They made so many of these that they’re not rare or show/collector cars. They’re transportation. If this were a rare old Mercedes in perfect condition it could appreciate over time but 190E’s aren’t going to.

Does this have the 2.3L 4 cylinder or a 2.6 litre inline 6?

Thanks for your reply. This is what I thought. This is a beautiful car which has under 100K.
We have another Mercedes, a 260E with much rust and a number of problems that has lowered the value significantly. The engine is good and would last for many more miles.
The 190E has 4 cylinders.

My “Old Cars Report” shows a range of $800 (for parts) to $18,000 for totally mint, low mileage, concourse condition. The average value for good condition and no consmetic defects is listed as $2150. This is a 1987 model.

For your interest, a one year older car (1986) one goes for $600 to $16,500 with $1950 for good condition. There is nothing magic about 25 years. As stated, these cars were really mass-produced and many then Mercedes owners regarded it as a “me too” car, like the baby Cadillac produced in the 80s.

What makes cars valuable is unique design, low production volume, generally good quality,and a few intangibles such as public fickleness. A Studebaker Avanti fits the above requirements much better than your Mercedes.

I would just drive it “forever” as long as you can economically maintain it. They were good handling cars, and my only gripe with them was a rather cramped backseat.