1984 Ford F100 - Alternator wiring

connected B+ wire from alternator to positive on battery the D+ wire goes to warning light on dash but as soon as I connect the negative to battery it burns out the wire from positive terminal to the alternator. Can you tell me what is causing the wire to burn out Thanks.

somewhere you have a positive and negative connecting. retrace all your wires. you are also bypassing the fuse box, because a fuse should blow before a wire burns up.

1 Like

Measure the resistance from the B+ battery to ground. Your alternator may have a short. What size wire are you using?
Start at the beginning and tell us why you are doing this.

What led up to this problem? The wire from the alternator to battery should have a fusible link and nothing should burn up. Is this what you have?

1 Like