1984 Cadillac DeVille - Oil consumption

We used to call that a “Carriage Top”, trim shops would install them.

There were many custom built Cadillacs in the 1980’s but I don’t believe yours is a true custom.

Okay I get it. At one time I was looking at Lincoln Town Cars, description would have some non-Lincoln series name. It was from the aftermarket, usually padded vinyl, top with a medallion attached.
Car looks good, I would definitely get estimates on the seal replacement.

Not for oil consumption… coolant consumption sure, but not oil.

I’d say stuck rings and bad valve seals. This car needs a replacement engine. A rear main seal would have to be leaking far more than you are showing to use oil that fast.

Don’t drive it at all if it’s out of oil, you will seize the engine.

In my neck of the woods, people used to refer to that as a “pimp roof”. I was not one of those people, but I do recall hearing that derisive description quite a few times back in the days when this type of alteration was common.

It could be a ring issue along with seal leaks and the reason for no or little smoke is because the converter is catching the smoke.

If it were me I would run a dry and wet compression test to determine whether or not to proceed with a rear main seal.

Something else for consideration could be if the PCV valve is plugged up. That can pressure up the crankcase and lead to oil consumption; often around crankshaft seals. The PCV is easy to check and dirt cheap to replace if necessary.

I have seen the 4.1 engine in that kind of Cadillac. The oil pan could be really loose. I mean loose. I had a bad leak like that. My 4.1 took straight 30 WT. Check the sticker under the hood or on the inside of the hood to see. If it does say 30 WT, do not use 5W30 or you will always have some leakage.

I use 10w30 in it

Landau top is the term i’m more familiar with for this, mostly seen on Cadillac’s but there sometimes on a Toyota Camry,

The carriage top has ribs going across the top to simulate cross bars in a convertible top. Chrysler’s Landau top covered only the rear/back seat portion of the roof. Cordoba and New Yorker Fifth Avenue are examples of the Landau top.

1 Like

Factory vinyl tops were pretty much gone by the early 80s. Aftermarket companies then started doing them. I had two with factory vinyl, a Valiant and an Electra 225, living in Florida both rusted out under the vinyl. I think it was around 67 the local Chrysler-Plymouth dealer had a Barracuda with a paisley vinyl roof.

In a recent issue of Hemmings Classic Car, they had a pictorial feature on the restoration of a Barracuda with one of those roofs. IIRC, it had a matching interior.

Called the Mod Top

You could also get a gator grain top around that time on a Mopar:

Vinyl tops were created to cover up bad roof to quarter panel welds.

1 Like

I am going to disagree with that. Vinyl roofs were usually an extra cost option. Now it is possible on the cars that were ordered with vinyl the assembly line spent less time perfecting the weld. Plus, not all vinyl roofs covered the C pillar. Previously I said I had two cars with vinyl, forgot I had a third. 1972 Satellite Sebring Plus, the vinyl started at a trim strip forward of the C pillar, covering the forward half of the roof. As I remember Gran Turismo Hawks also were that way.

My '71 Charger SE (essentially the same car as your Satellite) also had what Chrysler referred to as a “canopy” vinyl roof:

In its final year of production ('64), the GT Hawk was available with that type of roof:

I prefer the '62 & '63 GT Hawks, without a vinyl roof, and I consider them to be one of the best looking cars of the '60s:

Yes, the red Caddys are very reliable–unlike the ones that come in all of the other colors.
:smirk:

1 Like

Her Toyota wouldn’t even make the down payment on a good condition, red, Cadillac built prior to 1972 when they were highly reliable.

What a wonder story Josie. But do you have anything relevant to the issue being discussed? Didn’t think so. And please remove the link to the software you selling. Which is also irrelevant to this discussion.

1 Like