1980 Camaro reliability

I have to respectfully disagree for a moment. It’s going to be impossible to find a 90s era Camaro RS, Z, or Mustang GT for a grand or better unless it’s an absolute beater to the nth degree.
These cars are desireable and reflected in the prices they bring.

My oldest son has a 96 RS that has been a great car and I’ve driven it quite a few times.
The seating position is an abomination in my opinion. The floor pan and seats are very low slung and the top of the doors are comparatively high.
The impression I have (as I’ve often told my son) is that I feel like “I’m driving around in a 4 wheel hole” with the top of the door panels about shoulder high.

Not to mention that long swoopy nose that cannot be seen from the driver’s seat. Care always has to be used when pulling in to a facing curb, curb marker, etc.
The RS uses the FI body kit and running over anything larger than a field rat on the highway means about a 50% chance the front air dam will be knocked off or loose, along with cracking the paint. My son finally just gave up on the front air dam after 3 hits, 3 paint redos, and left it off.

If you buy this car and want to make it more highway friendly, and gas friendly, there is a 2.56 axle that will bolt right in.
My daughter has a 79 Z and I substituted a 2.56 rear axle for the 3.42 that was in there. The RPMs dropped way, way down and surprisingly enough, it still pulls well from a dead stop considering that very high ratio.

Peacesells560:
Two questions:

1: If your purchase price for this daily driver will be in the $3800 range, how much can you afford to spend on it for normal repairs?

2: Will you be doing the repairs yourself? Or will you be paying a repair shop to perform the repairs?

It’s not a bad looking car and the price isn’t bad either for one of these. The part that would make me hesitate is the “interior needs work” part of the ad.

The mechanicals can generally be gotten around easily and cheaply but it would not be difficult to spend 3 grand replacing interior parts; or more.

I seem to remember pricing things like a lowly kick panel (the plastic side piece located by the left foot) and those things were like a 145 dollars EACH through Year One. Sail panels (rear seat about head level with the passengers) were something like 180 a pop.

You should really take that into consideration because finding a roller car to yank the interior out of will be very difficult to do. The odds are that if even found a car the interior in it would also be garbage.

I find it hard to believe that this Camaro is worth $3800. I hope that he took the breather off just to take the picture. If not, I would not touch the vehicle with a ten foot pole. These cars can be fun to own but only if driven every now and then. These vehicles are not meant to be daily drivers as you would need a lot of mechanical knowledge and deep pockets to boot.