1975 ford van e-150 6cylinders

IS THERE ANY PRODUCT IN THE MARKET THAT REALLY HELP TO STOP BURNNING OIL (GRAY SMOKE COMMING FROM THE PIPE). THIS VAN WAS SITTING IN MY GARAGE FOR MORE THAN 3 YEARS. I STARED THE ENGINE FEW TIMES DURING THAT TIME. NEVER “SMOKE” BEFORE WHEN I WAS DRIVING IT.I DROVE IT THE OTHER DAY AND SMOKE ALOT ESPECIALLY WHEN I PUSH THE GAS PEDAL.DOENT SMOKE WHEN THE ENGINE IS COLD. TAKES ABOUT 3 MINUTES TO STAR RELEASING THAT SMOKE.IT HAS CLEAN GAS IN THE TANK, THE ENGINE TEMPETRATURE IS FINE AND RUNS GOOD. IS THIS HAPENNING BECAUSE THE VAN WAS IN THE GARAGE FOR LONG TIME AND MAYBE THE VALVE SEALS ARE NOT GOOD ANYMORE OR THE RINGS ARE BAD… IT HAS 158000 ORIGINAL MILES ONLY AND USED TO RUN GREAT WHITOUT SMOKING THAT BAD. DO I HAVE TO DRIVE IT REALLY OFTEN TO SEE IF STOP DOING THAT?. ANY PRODUCT THAT CAN HELP TO "RELEASE " THE RINGS IF THIS IS THE CASE???. THANKS.

When was the oil last changed? Does it look normal on the dipstick?

Oil burning usually produces blue smoke, not gray…Is your radiator full to the brim?

You could TRY removing the spark-plugs and squirting 2 ounces of Sea-Foam or Rislone into the cylinders then turn the engine over by hand to distribute the solvent into the rings…Then maybe spin it over with the starter, then replace the plugs and see what happens…You can expect a LOT of smoke for the first few minutes…Good Luck…Oh, what did those old plugs look like? Any of them much worse than the others? Maybe now would be a good time for a new set…

Gray smoke?

If the van has automatic transmission, there’s a device mounted on the side of the transmission called a vacuum modulator. It has a vacuum hose attached to it. Remove the vacuum hose from the modulator and if transmission fluid leaks out of the modulator, the diaphram in the modulator is leaking and the transmission fluid is being sucked into the engine and burned.

Tester

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENT. YES, IT HAS AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.I’M GOING TO CHECK IF I CAN FIND THAT MODULATOR. ARE YOU SURE THERE’S ONE IN THAT PARTICULAR YEAR OF THIS VAN ( 1975)… I’LL LET YOU NOW WHAT I FOUND. THANKS…

Please turn off your caps lock key! It makes text a lot less readable when it’s all in caps and on the web is perceived as “shouting” at people.

I had a 1976 Ford van with the 300 I-6 motor. It was a good van, if a bit underpowered. It too burnt a bit of oil. It had about 200K on it when I got rid of it, mostly because the body was Swiss cheese by then. In my case I’m pretty sure it was the valve seals at fault, at least mostly. I would get a puff of blue smoke taking off from a light and enough while idling to smell if it you were near the tailpipe. If your vacuum modulator is leaking, your transmission fluid level would be dropping. Unless your transmission isn’t full, or your oil burning began suddenly, I doubt the modulator is your problem. Unfortunately these motors seem to burn a bit of oil when they’re high mileage.

You could also pull the valve cover off if you can get to it, as well as the access plate on the side and see if the motor is sludged up. If the oil return drain holes in the head are plugged, oil can build up in the top end of the engine and worsen the oil burning.

Any vehicle that sits for long periods of time is going to have problems with burning oil. My van has this problem. I doubt I operate every 3 weeks. So every time I start it up, it smokes for a bit before it clears up.

I don’t think there is anything that will stop the smoking because the problem is the little bit of surface rust that appears on the cylinders when the vehicle is idle - assuming you don’t have valve guide or ring issues. The longer the vehicle sits, the more severe the rust and the more intense the smoke and the longer it takes to clean up.

" I STARED THE ENGINE FEW TIMES DURING THAT TIME."

Repeatedly starting the engine without warming it up will leave moisture in the cylinders, aggravating the rust problem CapriRacer describes.

Aside;
Maybe mitsubishi93 is working on a system such as mine …I MUST have caps lock on at all times to work the part numbers and invoicing system here at work.
then
remember to turn off to post
then
remember to turn back on to work !

Somet times I’ll type a whole line or two only to proof-read and see it in all caps :frowning: