1975 351w not moving

The Cleveland is regarded to be the better, more powerful engine, from what I’ve gathered. I’m not sure why or what they do or do not have in common. I could probably find out if I googled it, but I bet someone here probably already knows.

What’s the Difference Between a Ford 351 Windsor, Cleveland, or Modified Engine? - OnAllCylinders

1 Like

Well, I need a motor is always expensive. A 2011 sedan? At least you can find one. A1975 car? Age like 45 yrs old is complicating matters. A runner? You’re not going to put 15k/yr for the next decade.

Got lucky with a bit of money… I’m probably just gonna rebuild the motor, transmission, exhaust manifold, and power steering…

Debating new radiator, rubber bushings, fuel tank, lines and hoses.

Bit of rust and wear in and on them all that might effect the rebuild…

This '75 needs a lot of work… the frame is good though. Only one bad rust spot where the front right subframe rides… that I wish I could find a way to fix while the engine is out…

Gonna replace the mounts too.

Reminds me of a line from a movie. Question:“What are you protesting?”

Answer: “Well…what have you got?”

No idea what movie that was.

Short answer:
Windsor is a small block, Cleveland is a big block.

1 Like

You either have one hell of a memory or you spend too much time watching old movies…

It comes from the 1967 Elvis Presley movie, “Easy Come, Easy Go”

And no, I did not know this, I Googled "Movie Quote ‘What are you protesting?’ " and this came right up…

So, all I have to say is, “Happy Trails to You…”

Farrah fawcett did some body painting too. Not in this movie though.

Who knows where I got that. I wasn’t born until 74!

Doesn’t the 302 Boss version of the Ford engine use a regular 302 block, combined with Cleveland heads?

Sort of. But the block was different from the regular SBF 302.

2 Likes

Had a 68 cougar xr7 with the 302, pretty peppy it was, have no clue of the type. Internet says accelerating from 0 to 60 mph in 8.3 sec, from 0 to 100 km/h in 8.8 sec,

302’s were introduced around 68, before that I think the Ford v8 was 289. The late 60’s 302’s were more powerful then than later in the mid-70’s, when the compression was reduced and an assortment of vacuum controlled gadgets were used to modulate the ignition timing among other ways to improve emissions. My 70’s truck 302 has 8.2 compression for example, considerably lower than the 68 had I expect.

Still sitting… Gonna probably attempt to find a donor engine or long block to swap in this summer / late spring before it sits too long… Pretty sure the bearings on the cam shaft were going and ceased. Makes sense with the wear on the dizzy shaft, popping and missing at idle, and tapping noise sometimes. Probably metal shavings and dirt in the bearings… Definitely best to be pulled it. Could of probably got it going with pounding on it… Might have a donor car for a few hundo though… we shall see. Thank you all for all the feedback!

I would just source a correct used running engine . . . how you would definitively determine it runs and is in good shape I don’t exactly know

And before installing it, I would mount the engine on an engine stand and do a few things beforehand

New front and rear main seals, water pump, engine oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, perhaps a new timing set if it’s sloppy

You seem pretty intent on getting THIS particular van up and running, as opposed to buying a van that’s already good to go . . . correct?

Yeah, its a good van… I think I’m invested and having a hard time in this market… I mean if the frame’s good :crazy_face:

My old inboard boat has a 351 Windsor. Tuff as nails. They’re very popular with ski boats, they can bring the skiers up quick.

Someone said earlier about block size. Both the Windsor and Cleveland are small blocks (351 cu in).

Small block vf big block has more to do with bore spacing than displacement… For example Chrysler made 350 and 361 big blocks and 400 small blocks.

The early hemi engines were made in 3 different block sizes. Dodge small blocks 241 to 325 cu in, Desoto 276-345, and Chrysler 331 to 392. all 3 had different bore spacing and although the design was the same, none of the parts interchanged.