1949-50 8 cy Packard

hydraulic:
a) of or relating to hydraulics

b) of or relating to water or other liquid in motion

c) operated by the resistance offered or the pressure transmitted when a quantity of liquid (as water or oil) is forced through a comparatively small orifice or through a tube

I meant hydraulic.

Nobody has mentioned the obvious. First set the points, then check the timing. It may be way off or the advance mechanism might be stuck in the full advance position. Don’t be pulling the head until you have a new head gasket in your hand…A good romp out on the highway will decarbonize it…

Hydraulic is an adjective, not a verb. You used it as if it to denote action, clearly the job of a verb, not a descriptor.

And “hydro-lock” is not a word.

That’s why I meant “hydraulic”.

I don’t get your meaning, but a hydro-locked engine will indeed be damaged from incompressability. Spraying water into engines has been used in aircraft to improve performance by cooling the cylinder and condensing the air charge of supercharged engines, and the spray of water into this engine can create slight differences in temp between the carbon and piston and blow out carbon. Sudden pressurization in the cylinder can do this too (gunning the engine, but I can still remember doing that!

That was my point, namely that the use of that word, “hydraulic”, in that context is gramatically incorrect.

If Jay had used the term “Hydraulically Locked”, then he would have been correct, since those are the words from which the term, “hydro-locked” is derived. Yes, I am aware that hydro-locked is not a word, but it is a commonly used term that has come to serve as an abbreviated form of the words, “hydraulically locked”.

Hi Tom & Ray , I gave the spray bottle of water the other a try two days ago . It made no difference in the exhaust . I had no blue or gray /back added color to the exhaust . The exhaust is clear . I have tried the spray bottle before on late 20"s Packards and got carbon cleaning results . I am going to wait another few weeks for the beginning of driving season in Vermont . Over the winter I have rebuilt the carb and have found a couple local stations that have straight gasoline . SO I will see how the runs . The difference between low test and high test is about a quarter these days . Thanks Bryce