19 inch tires in snow

I was thinking about getting the Accord with the 2.0 turbo but noticed it comes with 19 inch tires. I know bigger tires are worse in snow but is it that bad? Can I drive in harsh New England winter with all seasons 19 inch tires? Thanks!

I’d get an extra set of winter tires on rims.

2 Likes

I would not think that 19 inch tires on a Honda Accord would be good on snow because of the width on the tire . Frankly I would not want 19 inch on a car that size . I go with Mr. Texas , have a set of winter tires and smaller wheels .

If you live in/near a big city and you don’t have to get to work every day without exception, you might not need a set of snow tires. I realize that once you get off the Atlantic Coast, the hills start quickly. New snows are a good, conservative idea, but you need to review your situation and decide whether you need them.

When I lived in Colorado I noticed that smaller diameter wheels seemed to do a better job in snow, but never understood why.

I don’t comment on snow tires in June.

Tire WIDTH is bad worse in snow. Narrower tires are better in snow because there’s more lbs per square inch and this allows the tires to dig deep to pavement or hard packed snow. Wider tires tend to ride on top of the snow where there’s no grip.

We live in New England (southern New Hampshire). r Wife’s has owned FWD vehicles for decades. Never ever have we needed snow tires. We just don’t get enough snow. 99% of the time you’ll be driving on cleared or lightly covered snow. And good all-season tires are far better for those conditions then dedicated snows. But it really depends on where in New England. Vermont ( which is basically all mountains), or northern NH or Maine away from coast then maybe snows would be a good idea.

2 Likes

Yes, narrower tires and on smaller rims - but first see that the smaller rims will clear the brake calipers. If you like the car and intend to keep it, it’s worth the cost of the rims and of the twice-annual switchover (which many folks can do by themselves.) The cost of the tires is negligible because you’re not wearing out the summer tires while using the winters, and vice versa.

I did this after the first winter on my new 1999 Civic. It’s been a better car year-round, and now has over 200,000 miles.

1 Like

I’ve used tirerack.com to get my winter tires+rims, I trust them to supply ones that’ll fit.

Edit - they show winter tire/rims available in 17", 18", and 19" for a 2022 Accord with the 2.0 turbo. I’d pick the 17".

1 Like

Tirerack is where I bought my first set of winter tires, mounted on steel rims and sent to my workplace. It’s always a great place to research and often to buy. Those tires have long since been replaced, but the rusty steel rims carry on, behind plastic wheel covers (which have also been replaced a few times.)

All-season tires with good snow traction such as the Michelin CrossClimate 2 are sufficient for most people, although winter tires are always better.

That hasn’t been my experience but suit yourself. I wast more tire on the snow for traction. But then in modern times even in Minnesota, the number of times driving on snow is very limited. Usually next day bare pavement.