13 Ford Escape ovheating mysteriously

I have an overheating problem with my Ford. I only have an overheating problem when I drive up curvy mountain roads in the summer. This is a huge problem because I live in Oregon and I can’t just not drive up mountain roads. I got stuck for four hours on a mountain road with no cell service because when my car overheats it goes into a safe mode and I cannot move it until the error is cleared by a mechanic. I have taken it to two mechanics multiple times for this (one of the mechanics being the Ford Service Dept) and they cannot find anything wrong with it and cannot reproduce the problem in the shop. I’m assuming they have checked everything that can possibly make a car overheat. It does not overheat on the highway or any other time. The last time this happened, I pulled over and looked at the coolant. It was boiling and there was a bit of steam coming from underneath. I have had to put coolant in it maybe twice in the year and a half since I owned it so I do not notice a significant loss.

I always look for simple.things.first. I wonder if the radiator is partially blocked by bugs. When the engine is pulling hard, not enough air is flowing through the radiatior. You might take a garden hose or air hose and from the engine side out, squirt the air or water through the radiatior

The second idea is that the radiator is partially plugged on the inside. The radiator needs to be removed and flow tested

2 Likes

If your vehicle overheats on mountain roads only that indicates the transmission is in too high of a gear ratio. Shift the tranny down to a lower gear to take the load off the engine. Years ago when we had manual 3-speed transmissions we had to drive in second gear in mountains to prevent overheating.

what engine do you have?

4-Cyl, EcoBoost, 1.6L

Angela Riendeau

There are a number of recalls/TSB that apply to 2013 escapes.
Best to verify if recalls have been done and match it up with what the dealer/mechanic has done.
Engine safe mode due to actual or perceived overheating is the subject of the recalls.

See escape ecoboost forum for additional info also Fordtechmakuloco.com.

I actually spoke to Ford about this and they explained that recalls are VIN specific and I have none. I am going to try that idea about driving it in second gear when going uphill.

Angela Riendeau

cj2
August 3 |

There are a number of recalls/TSB that apply to 2013 escapes.
Best to verify if recalls have been done and match it up with what the dealer/mechanic has done.
Engine safe mode due to actual or perceived overheating is the subject of the recalls.

See escape ecoboost forum for additional info also Fordtechmakuloco.com.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Leak down test and hydrocarbon test would be applicable to overheating under load.
If the previous diagnostics didn’t include these tests consider having them done.

If need be you can clear the error code with a inexpensive OBD2 dongle and an app on your cell phone.
Also handy to check coolant temp/engine parameters.