125,000 miles

2014 Subaru has 125,000 miles and in for an oil change. I have oil changes every 5K-7K miles. The owner’s manual says 7,500 and a coworker whom worked at a dealer (like CarMax) says 10,000 miles.

The manual says to replace spark plugs at 120,000 and have coolant exchange at 137,500 so I’m having the spark plugs replaced and doing a coolant drain and fill.

Is a fuel induction service necessary to keep the fuel injector from getting clogged or the catalytic converter from getting damaged or is the spark plugs sufficient for this task?

I would vote it down.
If you use good (AKA “Top Tier”) gas, your injectors and fuel lines will be in tip-top shape.

4 Likes

If the manual doesn’t say a fuel induction service is necessary, then it isn’t.

At any rate, a clogged fuel injector will not damage a catalytic converter. A leaking fuel injector can, and fuel induction services won’t fix a leaking injector. So if that’s what you were told, these guys are full of it.

I agree a fuel induction service is probably not warranted…However

Top Tier gas station does not guarantee fuel lines and injectors will be in tip-shape shape.

. If you have a replaceable fuel filter, then that will need to be replace on schedule.

If vehicle isn’t showing any signs of fuel problem, then skip that service.

1 Like

Nope, it was just sold as a service to keep it in tip top shape. I was told the spark plugs if they misfire could cause damage and manual does say to change that but that was not inferred on the fuel cleaning. I like the filter idea though.

Anything that can prevent leaks if done ahead of time? I don’t think there’s any leaks.

Thanks for your suggestions. I decided not to buy the service.

Misfiring sparkplug does not cause damage.

This vehicle may or may not be equipped with a replaceable fuel filter. Many modern vehicles have moved away from an easily replaceable fuel filters.

1 Like

Do not go 10k between oil changes on a Subaru. The recommended from the factory is 7500 and that is adequate.

The manual calls for new plugs every 60k miles though I don’t know why. All other vehicles that use Iridium tipped plugs with a platinum ground pad have an interval of 120k miles.

As long as you don’t have a BRZ, you don’t need the induction service. If you do have a BRZ, the type of induction service they are likely to sell you won’t do any good. You need the Seafoam treatment for that, it is the only one that will clean the tops of your intake valves.

BG, Wynn and many other chemical companies that offer induction cleaning products. Seafoam seems to be the most highly promoted cleaning product on this message board.

Most of those involve disconnecting the fuel line and adding a strong mix of solvents and fuel to the injectors. Direct injection engines like the BRZ have a problem with crud build up on the lower stems and heads of the intake valves due to oil fumes from the PCV valve.

The Seafoam system uses the aerosol spray can with a long extension nozzle that is snaked into the throttle body and just past the butterfly valve to inject the solvent directly into the intake to clean the valves. This is very DIY, only a screwdriver needed to loosen the intake duct from the throttle body.

The BRZ is not quite as affected by this issue as other direct injected engines because it uses both direct injection and port injection.

Some Vehicles that have Direct Injection have had spark-plug recommended interval change drop to 60k miles. Not sure if this vehicle is Direct Injection or not.

Only if it is a BRZ.

They use BG. It was sold to keep the valves clean. I had to ask since I was wondering.

This is the first time that I changed my spark plugs at 125K.

The labor is really expensive where I live (typically the labor + factory overhead is almost double the cost of the part) so I think you guys saved me about $230 ($80 + $150 in labor).

Yes, they is…
:wink:

Seriously, however, I REALLY hope that the OP has been doing tire rotations on a consistent basis. The manufacturer’s maintenance schedule calls for tire rotation every 7,500 miles. Every 5k is okay, and even every 10k is okay, as long as the mileage interval is consistent and unvarying.

Additionally, if this vehicle hasn’t had its trans fluid changed every 3 years/30k miles, the OP REALLY needs to have it done now, lest he/she winds up with transmission failure in the very near future.
:thinking:

1 Like

That is a fuel injection service. A fuel induction service cleans the induction system, this has been going on long before direct injection engines were around.

You probably wouldn’t notice $230 worth of improved performance.

I had the trans done at 75K and will be doing it this weekend at 126K

Excellent!
:+1:

1 Like