$1000 1997 Geo Tracker 123k Mi with a misfire in one cyl?

Just curious what this fix might look like? Might need a second little commuter car soon. Anyone have experience with this year /model?

Well, sounds like 2 owners couldn’t figure out why it is misfiring, or they found out it was just a worn out engine… You can throw Spark plugs, ignition wires, dist cap and rotor button on one while on lunch break, set the timing and go, so I don’t know why either one would not have already done it… (or do I??)

Remember a misfire is not always ignition or fuel related, loss of compression can cause a misfire also… I am guessing it needs an engine or at least a valve job…

I’m betting the current owner took it in on trade thinking it needed an easy tune up or something, then found out the bad news and now is trying to dump it…

Good news is car-part shows at least 42 in the US, so parts are still out there, plus it is the same thing as the Suzuki Sidekick…

3 Likes

I am assuming that the fix is going to involve taking apart the motor, having the head reconditioned (valve re-grind, perhaps replacing defective valve(s), resurfacing, etc) and a new gasket set. Still a good deal if the body and interior are decent, and you are capable of doing this type of work. If you’d have to pay someone to fix it, forget about it.

2 Likes

Was thinking along the same lines. Only way it would happen is if I found a used engine and had someone replace it. I wonder if he has any maintenance records? If it’s so clean the previous owner may have kept stuff like that. But it was part of a trade? Not sure about that.

Admitted poor maintenance, misfire, 26 year old vehicle with unknown mileage… the 123,456 miles is not a coincidence, it is fake.

Only $1000? Junk car or scam to steal your $1000 cash. Ignore it.

@bcohen2010

Agreed with @Mustangman. It’s fake. Gold with a brown interior? Yeah, no.

It’s too bad some folks are so cheap that they would buy cars like this.
I choose to spend hours each day in a tin crap box.
But it was cheap. Like owner.

You pay in money or time/frustration. Or both.

There’s always a cost.

I am as cheap as the day is long, and I would buy a “fixer-upper” like this if I needed a vehicle. As long as it has a clear title, with no hidden liens, and the body is decent, mechanical problems are fixable. The “cost delta” between what a shop would charge to fix the problems, and what it costs me to fix the problems using parts from Rock Auto allows me to save a ton of money buying cars like this. Once repaired, I can drive the car payment-free for many years, giving a good ROI.

1 Like